Help with powerfeed

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

MrKev

Help with powerfeed

Post by MrKev » Sat 01 Sep , 2018 14:27 pm

Hi,

I've recently acquired a viceroy, stamped TDS3 M&WL, I understand was once in a school. Overall it seems to work well, however I have one problem I cannot work out how to get the power feed leadscrew to run. I can joggle the red handle on the front, and inside the rear inspection cover for the headstock gearbox I see a dog clutch engage with a chain driven sprocket. All that lot turns, but the leadscrew itself remains still.

Could someone have disabled the feed, or is there a shear pin I can't spot which has sheared?

It looks like quite a project to disassemble to investigate, so I am hoping for a few tips which might help.

Many thanks,
Kevin

MrKev

Re: Help with powerfeed

Post by MrKev » Sat 01 Sep , 2018 14:37 pm

I'm not sure it really helps, but here's a picture, from the best angle I could manage!
DSC_0044.JPG
DSC_0044.JPG (754.18 KiB) Viewed 5879 times

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sat 01 Sep , 2018 21:29 pm

Hi MrKev,

Put up a good photo of the front of the lathe, showing all the controls.

MrKev

Post by MrKev » Sun 02 Sep , 2018 10:55 am

As requested, here's a couple of pics of the front
DSC_0048.JPG
DSC_0048.JPG (537.04 KiB) Viewed 5870 times
DSC_0049.JPG
DSC_0049.JPG (469.72 KiB) Viewed 5870 times

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

Post by oldboyouttheback » Thu 06 Sep , 2018 8:58 am

I am sorry but unable to be specific as to the cause of your lathes problem, but most of the Viceroy range I believe have a shear pin in th lead screw
drive and I suspect that is causing your problem. I think the lower lever on your machine is a possibly for leadscrew foward neutral and reverse.
If everything turns inside the rear drive unit then you need to trace down to the inside end of the leadscrew and try to see if there is any sign of a
shear pin.
BTW Tony at Lathes UK is requesting pictures and info on the combined wood and metal turning lathe especially if chain driven as yours is.

John

MrKev

Post by MrKev » Sun 09 Sep , 2018 17:18 pm

Thanks john.

I'm happy to send Tony some pictures, he's got a great site I've used many times over the years.

As to the lever, I only get two useful positions, and no obvious way to reverse the feed. Regarding the shear pin, that was I was imagining, but as to actually working out where is is, and for that matter how to get to it... It looks like quite a project to disassemble the head, even just getting to the two cap head screws inside looks like a challenge. More modern machines which have a shear pin have it outside the headstock, so you can easily replace it.

Hmm

Kevin

MrKev

Post by MrKev » Sun 09 Sep , 2018 19:24 pm

It looks like the same location design as the other TDS machines, so I hoped someone might have found the shear pin / key on another and have a pointer. Certainly I can see where change gears might go instead of the bowl turning nose.