280 with separate carriage feed drive.

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

YouraT

280 with separate carriage feed drive.

Post by YouraT » Thu 08 Mar , 2018 23:36 pm

A couple of months ago I came across a this picture on the website of a machinery dealer - can't unfortunately now remember which.

Has anyone seen this sort of feed powering arrangement on a Viceroy before? Well known (in principle) from some other lathes - Hardinge in particular with the motor on the carriage, but I've not seen it before on one of these...

Why do it? Maybe the owner wanted to be able to machine to a bed mounted stop and not rely on the dog-clutch (how do you do it?) or maybe the gearbox was goosed in some way and this was a simpler (for them) fix...?

Interesting anyway...

Y.
Attachments
280 with drive.jpg
280 with drive.jpg (172.91 KiB) Viewed 4033 times

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: 280 with separate carriage feed drive.

Post by Andy B » Wed 14 Mar , 2018 13:49 pm

There's a serious rear parting off tool post on there too!

Andy

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: 280 with separate carriage feed drive.

Post by rpwilson » Wed 14 Mar , 2018 14:52 pm

It looks like there is a limit switch to stop carriage travel towards the headstock, and a manual stop on cross slide travel, so its probably been set up for production. It certainly is a serious parting tool. I wonder if thats a home brew extension to the cross slide to mount the parting tool, it looks longer than the standard slide. Mines got a long tee slotted slide, that could mount a rear toolpost, but I think its a aftermarket one, rather than a Denford product. I've even got the rear toolpost, but I don't have it mounted, machine copes perfectly well with parting off from the front.