Might break my Viceroy..

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

robwizard

Might break my Viceroy..

Post by robwizard » Sat 16 Sep , 2017 11:33 am

Hi guys, basically I acquired a Denford Viceroy a few years ago in a state of considerable disrepair and it was always my intention to fix it up, perhaps in a semi-cnc configuration. This has not happened yet.. and I'm worried that I will never get round to it and it was sit in my garage rusting away forever.

Anyway, I was thinking I might sell it, but as it stands it's non functioning, and whoever has owned it in the past has made poor decisions. Few snapped bolts, bent studs, gear cover is missing, the leadscrew seems to be missing spacers as it rocks side to side when engaged with the saddle. What I'm trying to get at is I wonder if it is more use to people as parts as a whole machine?

I'm not 100% decided on what to do yet, I paid about £140 for the machine if I remember correctly, and bought a full set of change wheels for it which set me back about another £60. Is there enough demand for spares that I could hope to get back this money? It's a Metric model with no gearbox. It has backgear. It does not have power crossfeed.

Any advice on what to do would be well received! :)

Thanks

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: Might break my Viceroy..

Post by rpwilson » Sat 16 Sep , 2017 15:19 pm

Denford 'Viceroy' covers a fair range of machines, from the pretty basic to quite sophisticated. A couple of photos of yours, if possible would be helpful. I'm looking for a spare topslide to fit my 280 Synchro, but I'd need to see yours, to know if it would fit. I should think the changewheels at least would generate a reasonable amount of interest, If you are not in a hurry, guys seem to have reasonable success listing individual lathe components on ebay, and it seems that theres more money to be made out of the parts than there is from a rough incomplete machine.

Richard

robwizard

Post by robwizard » Sat 16 Sep , 2017 22:20 pm

Ahh yes, I should have thought of that! If my memory serves me correctly it's a TDS-1. So leadscrew, no gearbox, no power cross feed. I will get some pictures and see if the parts would be of any use to people, which will help me to make a decision.

Thanks! :D

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Post by rpwilson » Sun 19 Nov , 2017 12:58 pm

robwizard wrote:Ahh yes, I should have thought of that! If my memory serves me correctly it's a TDS-1. So leadscrew, no gearbox, no power cross feed. I will get some pictures and see if the parts would be of any use to people, which will help me to make a decision.

Thanks! :D
Did you ever come to a decision about what to do with your Viceroy? If you are going to break it, then I'm still interested in the topslide assembly.

Regards

Richard Wilson