synchro 280 headstock oil

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

synchro 280 headstock oil

Post by rpwilson » Tue 08 Aug , 2017 16:34 pm

I re read Tony Griffiths section on Synchro 280 lathes, and since I read it last, probably a couple of years ago, a note has appreared warning that use of the wrong oil in the headstock can cause the plastic gears to swell. The original spec was for Shell Vitrea 32, and I use ISO 32 hydraulic oil with no apparent ill effects. The note doesn't say which oil gave rise to the swelling. I've just emsiled Tony to see if he knows, but haven't had a response yet.
Anyone any ideas where this warning originated?.

Regards

Richard Wilson

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: synchro 280 headstock oil

Post by Pete. » Tue 08 Aug , 2017 17:33 pm

My gears had certainly swollen. It caused the teeth to bind and made the mounting holes go over-sized as I found out when I had to dismantle it.

I don't know that it's a problem with the oil so much as with the Technyl A90 plastic, whatever that might be, absorbing it over the long term - I couldn't find any details on the product when I did a search. Replacements I make from Delrin which is not affected.

I should think that most of the original gears will be somewhat chewed up by now.

JohnC

Re: synchro 280 headstock oil

Post by JohnC » Mon 20 Nov , 2017 8:23 am

Hi All,
New to the Synchro, but the manual I have give Shell Vitrea 68/ Castrol NN as the oil for headstock, gearbox, saddle and oiling points. I don't know the date of the manual, but it came form this site.

John