TDS 1/1 Cross Slde Micrometer Dial Problem

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dakes55
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

TDS 1/1 Cross Slde Micrometer Dial Problem

Post by dakes55 » Tue 23 May , 2017 20:09 pm

I have a problem with my cross slide dial, its not working correctly and wondered how to set it up accuratly, as i understand it if the dial is set at 0 and then moved 360 degrees advanced to 0 then that should be 1mm if my thinking is correct, i checked this on the compound slide with a test dial indicator and its bang on, but when i do the same with the cross slide dial im getting a reading of 1.4mm, any ideas why its .4mm out and how to correct it

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Re: TDS 1/1 Cross Slde Micrometer Dial Problem

Post by LesT » Mon 29 May , 2017 16:21 pm

Hi,
I have tried my cross slide and compound slide and the travel (Imperial) is .980" ( i don't have a metric dial gauge)
This fits in with the pitch which is supposed to be 2.5mm for both screws. (should be .984")
I don't understand how you have measured 1.4mm unless there is either a lot of play in the feedscrew or it is a (very) non-standard feedscrew.

Les.T.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Mon 29 May , 2017 20:18 pm

Les your 2.5mm screw should be 0.0984" so it's only half a thou out which could be wear in the screw.

dakes55 the first thing to ask is are you working it all in one direction, in other words turn the screw clockwise until the dial gauge reads zer, then zero the cross slide dial, then make one turn and check your reading on the dial gauge. If you're winding it out to zero outwards then turning it inwards you might be reading the pitch minus the backlash. this would account for your 1mm pitch on the compound because it should be 2.5mm or 100 thou.

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Mon 29 May , 2017 21:57 pm

Silly me!
Quite right, its .0984".
I dropped a factor of ten walking back from the shed.