TDS 1/1 Tooling size

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dakes55
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

TDS 1/1 Tooling size

Post by dakes55 » Mon 01 May , 2017 20:15 pm

I have recently bought a TDS 1/1, can anyone tell me what size tooling was originaly used on these lathes as i cant find any reference on this, most seem to think its 12mm x 12mm

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: TDS 1/1 Tooling size

Post by Andy B » Tue 02 May , 2017 13:44 pm

It's really a case of using what you can find that fits!
The maximum tool size will obviously be determined by the toolpost, and getting the tool tip at the centre height is done using shims/packers for a fixed toolpost, or using the height adjustment in the Dickson or Aloris types of toolpost.

Tools ground from HSS tool blanks will always need to be individually set for height anyway.

It also depends on what kind of work you are doing. For small work in 'easier' materials (brass, plastic, etc), a smaller tool can be better as it does not obscure the work so much, can fit into small corners and pockets, and there is no problem with stiffness.

Andy

dakes55

Post by dakes55 » Tue 02 May , 2017 19:59 pm

Thanks for the reply, can you tell me more about the Aloris types of toolpost, which one would you recommend, im having all sorts of problems with the lathe at the moment, as its not turning parts true, more like eliptical and off centre, im using a 4 jaw independant chuck on it, any suggestions on how to set it up, sorry im just a beginner
Thanks

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

Post by oldboyouttheback » Wed 03 May , 2017 19:04 pm

I think you would do well to search for posts on ' youtube ' there are plenty of videos on setting up a four jaw independant chuck, and also lots of very informative videos on all manner of turning operations.
As the saying goes, ' a picture tells a thousand words ' a video will tell tens of thousands.
Do you have a three jaw scroll chuck ? if so you should use that for most normal turning.

John

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Wed 03 May , 2017 19:22 pm

I would suggest you have look at some of the you tube machinists channels.
ABOM79, Doubleboost, Keith Fenner etc,etc.
They are usually entertaining and will help you pick up some knowledge.

paulmo101
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paulmo101 » Thu 04 May , 2017 20:17 pm

Other good youtube channels with loads of good info - mrpete222 - just posted a 9 part series on building a stuart engine form castings lots of good information on setting parts up in the lathe also keith Rucker posts some good stuff on lathe work.

The 4 jaw independent chuck is awkward to setup until you have had some practice but doubleboost has posted some good videos on this subject. As mentioned most people tend to use a 3 (or 4) jaw self centering chuck as it basically sets the work on centre for you.

I use a quick change toolpost which will take up to 16mm square toolbits and is very handy as you do not need to set up each tool everytime that you use them.

All the best

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Fri 05 May , 2017 15:17 pm

dakes55 wrote:Thanks for the reply, can you tell me more about the Aloris types of toolpost, which one would you recommend, im having all sorts of problems with the lathe at the moment, as its not turning parts true, more like eliptical and off centre, im using a 4 jaw independant chuck on it, any suggestions on how to set it up, sorry im just a beginner
Thanks
This is a quick change toolpost on Ebay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Piston-Type-Q ... SwN6JY~Lu-
I have the wedge type version of this and it works fine.
(It might be a bit cheaper from some of the UK toolsuppliers not on Ebay BTW)

Les.T.

dakes55

Post by dakes55 » Sat 06 May , 2017 10:02 am

Thanks for every ones advice

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Mon 29 May , 2017 0:09 am

Hi
I have standardized on 16mm tool holders for carbide tooling. I still use HSS a lot. I prefer 5/16 or 3/8 for that.
Dazz
Regards

Dazz