TDS 1/1 G.B.L Lathe cross slide feedscrew replacement.

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

TDS 1/1 G.B.L Lathe cross slide feedscrew replacement.

Post by LesT » Fri 17 Mar , 2017 20:56 pm

Hi,
I have been lucky enough to get a Cross slide feedscrew for my Lathe off Ebay. The seller listed it as part no ML100/514B.
(The current cross slide feedscrew is badly worn). Drawing ML 100/500 which is the arrangement drawing shows the feedscrew no as ML 110/501 (my lathe is a GB lathe with PCS). I have compared the new and old components and it looks like I may be able to make the new screw fit OK, its very similar but a bit longer in the unthreaded section. The question is:
Can anyone direct me to drawing ML 110/501 ?, I have scoured the stickies and topics posted without success.
Any help would be much appreciated !
Les.T.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: TDS 1/1 G.B.L Lathe cross slide feedscrew replacement.

Post by Pete. » Fri 17 Mar , 2017 23:10 pm

I can't help you with the drawing Les but I can say I was surprised to see that the screws on my TDS were finished with a die. I'd never seen die-cut lathe leadscrews before.

How much too long is the plain section on your screw? If it fouls the nut but only by a turn or two then it might be good enough just to turn some relief in it.

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.

Post by LesT » Sat 18 Mar , 2017 11:57 am

Hi Pete,

The "New" feedscrew appears to be very similar to the old one, the working bits, that is the screwed section and thrust collar appear identical. It is about 2 inches longer though, there is no provision for fixing holes for the collar and handle though. I'm going to try and get the old feedscrew out so I can measure it at the handle end, although I may try and get some new new thrust bearings first.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 21 Mar , 2017 12:36 pm

Les,

I've posted 2 drawings at the bottom of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=2941&p=21169#p21169

Hope they're useful.

Andy

P.S. Please post any comments in this thread - I'm trying to keep the 'Sticky' threads with drawings attched 'clean' so that they are easier to find stuff.

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
A WMD25V mini mill.

Post by LesT » Tue 21 Mar , 2017 19:20 pm

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for posting the drawings, I will need to get out and do some measuring now !

Les.T.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Tue 21 Mar , 2017 20:08 pm

Les,

I missed your reference to ML100-514 the first time - so have now added 2 further leadscrew drawings to the thread linked above.
I also found ML100-512 for the matching nut(s) - there were 3 different ones used over the 25 or so years in which these lathes were built.

Should make playing 'spot the difference' a bit easier!

Andy

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
A WMD25V mini mill.

Post by LesT » Tue 21 Mar , 2017 21:55 pm

Hi Andy,

Thats really very helpful of you.

Many thanks,

Les.T.