Phase Converter Help For Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dakes55
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

Phase Converter Help For Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

Post by dakes55 » Fri 24 Feb , 2017 22:32 pm

I am looking for advice on which phase converter is best for my lathe that I just bought, I'm not sure at the moment which way to go on this, either change the current 3 phase motor for a single phase one or just to buy a 240v to 3 phase converter for it, if I go down the phase converter route which type would be the best for this lathe, any suggestions please.

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

Re: Phase Converter Help For Viceroy TDS 1/1 GBL

Post by oldboyouttheback » Sun 26 Feb , 2017 10:43 am

Don't know much about the various inverters available, but when you ask about a 240 to 3 phase converter I assume you mean a VFD ( variable frequency device ) to run a 3 phase motor from 240v, if so, it is likely your current motor will not be suitable, they need a dual voltage motor.

I stand to be corrected on this, but when I converted my TDS to run with a VFD I was told the original motor would not work and brought a new motor and VFD .

John

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Sun 26 Feb , 2017 18:37 pm

Have a look inside the motor terminal box. If it has 6 connections a VFD should be simple enough.
You could take a picture and post it on here as well.

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Thu 02 Mar , 2017 10:35 am

Hello

3 terminals means the motor is fixed 400VAC.
6 terminals means the motor will run 240VAC or 400VAC.

With VFD, motor power peaks at the rated 50/60Hz. This has nothing to do with the VFD. It is because of the physics of motor design. For this reason, it is usual to fit a larger motor that provides sufficient power away from 50/60Hz. Torque remains constant below the design Hz.

You should also expect to completely rewire the machine except for safety switch wiring.
Regards

Dazz

Alan
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Alan » Wed 08 Mar , 2017 14:02 pm

I have a Transwave Converter 1.5hp Rotary which I use on my Viceroy. When I got the lathe it was 3 phase, so made the decision that this was the simplest way for me to go. i bought used off eBay £200, it also can run my 3 phase pillar drill. I have checked the speeds on the chuck and all run to specification. the motor is the 1.5hp. I think for my use it is fine. But would have got the 3hp Transwave Rotary, just that I had little knowledge at the time, I have posted lots of drawings on my lathe and some info. Hope these may be of use, good luck Alan.