Viceroy Advice wanted

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

steve1963
Hardware/Software: Denford Viceroy TDS 1/2 PCS Metric

Viceroy Advice wanted

Post by steve1963 » Tue 07 Feb , 2017 17:04 pm

Hello
I'm new to the forum but need some advice. I recently purchased a Denford Viceroy TDS1/2 pcs Lathe from Ebay, but unfortunately for me I entrusted the delivery to Shiply. I wont bore you with the long story but they managed to drop the lathe on its front, this has cracked and distorted the end panel which I have removed and attempted to straighten, also the tool cross slide handle was snapped off along with the apron handwheel. I have managed to change both of these, and the endstock was snapped off as well, this also has been repaired.
The problem I have now is that the apron handwheel is very stiff, almost un turnable, I cant see any damage but was wandering what I should check next, I have oiled and greased everything, but can't seem to fathom out why the handwheel operation is so hard, Its my first lathe since using one as an apprentice back in the 70's and as yet I haven't even switched it on for fear of causing further damage to the slide wheel.
Is there something obvious that could have happened, or can anyone suggest a step by step guide to see if I am doing something wrong, or I have in advertantly locked the spindle or something???
Bit miffed at the minute

Thanks in advance

Steve

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Re: Viceroy Advice wanted

Post by LesT » Tue 07 Feb , 2017 18:43 pm

Hi Steve,

Commiserations on some really bad luck.
I had a quick search and "Shiply" don't seem to get good reviews.
It looks like something is bent, probably the long travel gear drive shaft. You need to dismantle the assembly and prove that the saddle itself is free to slide. A new gear shaft may need to be sourced. There are plenty of drawings available to guide you in the announcements section above.
Eg :
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=3209

There is a long travel lock on the RHS of the cross slide handle, this has a square drive end sticking up, this should be loose, not tightened down.

Not sure what you mean by "endstock", is this the tailstock ?.

Was the move insured ?, surely if they broke it they should pay for repairs, or give a total loss payout.

Les.T.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Tue 07 Feb , 2017 19:22 pm

Steve,

I know someone who probably has all the bits you need. I will send you a PM so you can contact them.

Pete.

steve1963

Post by steve1963 » Wed 08 Feb , 2017 8:12 am

No joy with Insurance or anything like that, the couriers who trade through shiply are all independent and as such you have little or no comeback.
I'm just going to have to sort it myself, I will try and strip it down this weekend to see if the saddle does slide freely as you recommend, hopefully its something simple, but knowing my luck it will be a major overhaul

Cheers

Steve

steve1963

Post by steve1963 » Wed 08 Feb , 2017 8:13 am

Pete
Thanks for that, I have PM'd you a response, but thanks again
Steve

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

Post by oldboyouttheback » Thu 09 Feb , 2017 0:37 am

Hello Steve.
Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

My TDS 1 LS suffered a similar fate when being delivered to me. Clumsy idiot sat it on the back of a Transit truck and didn't strap it down. fell over and bent the apron handwheel, and broke the crosslide handwheel. Also broke the 127 tooth leadscrew drive gear in two,
Made a new crosslide handwheel and fixed the gear to a steel backing disc. fortunately the bent apron handwheel was only slightly wonky but turned easy and was left as it was as it worked well enough.

It was only when at a later time that I was dismantling the apron that I found it was not the handwheel that was bent, but the shaft it mounts on. Of course this meant the shaft could not be removed from the apron as it jammed in the bore of the apron.

Anyway.... I ralise your lathe is different from mine as it has seperate feed shaft and leadscrew, with powered crosslide, but I wonder if it is a similar case of a bent shaft that has been jammed in the apron.
If that is the case do not try to push it through the apron to remove it, you risk cracking the casting, instead come back here and ask for suggestions on how .

steve1963

Post by steve1963 » Thu 09 Feb , 2017 10:11 am

Thanks Old Boy
It sounds like mine could have had a similar fate.
I am going to give it a good looking at this weekend, I have downloaded all the drawings off here to try and help me decipher where the problem lies.
I notice from the drawings that the half nuts on the drive shaft have a spring to hold them open, and I am wandering if one of these has come a drift, when it toppled over and has left them gripping the drive shaft.
What I cant understand is the cross slide took most of the impact, I bought a myford handle off ebay and re drilled the centre, and drilled out a hole for the cotter pin type thing and now that works fine, smooth operation, no problem. I undid the grub screws oiled it all and moved it around, and that is working fine.
I just hope Im not being a total idiot and have tried to operate the apron wheel when it is set in powermode. am I right in thinking that the selector arm behind the apron wheel should be in the middle (neutral) so to speak, in order for the apron wheel to operate freely? If so I may have inadvertently left it set in power mode and then tried to use the handwheel.
I cant remember if this was the case, and I work away from home during the week, so cant try it until the weekend.
The apron wheel again was a new old stock myford, purchased from ebay which a friend of mine made up the correct collet at the back, which we welded into position, that also fits fine.
I still need to manufacture a new gear cover as the die cast ally original one is bent out of shape and cracked, but I was going to remanufacture one and test my old welding skills, will post a picture once I get the apron side of things sorted.
Thanks for the response anyway
Cheers
Steve