What make 3 jaw chuk do you have on your tds-1 metal lathe ?

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

What make 3 jaw chuk do you have on your tds-1 metal lathe ?

Post by oldboyouttheback » Mon 06 Feb , 2017 2:27 am

Hello all.
I have a TDS - 1 LS fitted with a Cushman 3 jaw chuck approx 5.5 inches in dia, and the little circular emblem on the face ( like all Pratt chucks have ) that reads Cushman Chucks, Hove.
Well Hove is next to Brighton down in sunny Sussex, quite near to me, and I can find no reference to them being there.
Problem is... I need a set of outside jaws for the chuck, and have been looking for a set for over ten years now with no success.

Were Cushman Chucks a standard fitment on Viceroy lathes in the 60s or is it an oddity on mine. I know I could fit a new Pratt chuck to overcome the problem, but as the Cushman is in good condition it grieves me to part with money to buy a new chuck and to make a perfectly good chuck redundant.

Does anyone have a spare set of jaws to fit my chuck or know where I can get some from ?

I am also wanting a four jaw independant for my 280 VS, with a D1-3 mounting if anyone can help.

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Re: What make 3 jaw chuk do you have on your tds-1 metal lat

Post by DavidB » Mon 06 Feb , 2017 17:32 pm

A quick search indicates to me that they're more likely a US company http://www.cushmanindustries.com/ so maybe worth an enquiry with them.

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

Re: What make 3 jaw chuk do you have on your tds-1 metal lat

Post by oldboyouttheback » Mon 06 Feb , 2017 22:51 pm

David, yes I have already been down that road, but they dont recognise the numbers from my chuck, and even if they did, the prices for a single set of jaws for a similar size chuck from their present range is more than half the cost of a new Pratt Burnerd chuck, and that is before the extortionate cost of postage from the USA.

John