Half nut adjustment - how is it done?

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

YouraT

Half nut adjustment - how is it done?

Post by YouraT » Thu 17 Nov , 2016 23:27 pm

Hi all.

I'm pretty well done putting back together my 250 apron after deciding that it needed a good seeing-to - one problem in particular was that the bottom right plastic push-rivet that held the aluminium decal plate on leaked oil and the apron would never stay full - that's now been replaced by a round cap head with the threads sealed with a paste-gasket material.

Now everything else is back where it should be (including the leadscrew and feed shaft support bracket) , the problem I'm having is that I can't see how it's possible to adjust the relative locations / offsets of the half nuts - when everything is back in the same places that I thought they had come from, the top half nut is a lot closer to the leadscrew than the bottom one, and forcing them together (only really possible towards the centre of the leadscrew by deflecting it somewhat) results in the whole thing locking up solid.

I can't readily see any adjustment by way of the arm pivot pins (ML105 302A) - they are concentric and in any case have flats on them where the grub screws fix them (in the distant past I had a Myford where the adjustment was via cammed pivot pins I seem to recall), and the wide shaft with the grooves in it that the half-nut lever actuates has no obvious way of adjusting anything either....

Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks,

Youra.

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

Re: Half nut adjustment - how is it done?

Post by oldboyouttheback » Sat 19 Nov , 2016 18:52 pm

I am sure my 280 has no adjustment for the halfnuts, and can only think yours is not assembled correctly.
Sorry I can't be more helpful.

John.

YouraT

Re: Half nut adjustment - how is it done?

Post by YouraT » Sat 19 Nov , 2016 21:44 pm

John, all,

Indeed probably not assembled correctly - I've stripped back the offending parts, double checked that the correct ground-to-size-on-factory-assembly washers were in the correct locations, and re-assembled.

This time - despite all being as far as I can tell exactly the same, everything fits just fine.

Must have been the assembly gremlins.....

Youra.