280VS tumbler gear support wanted.

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

280VS tumbler gear support wanted.

Post by oldboyouttheback » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 18:05 pm

Please can anyone help me ?
I have just aquired a 280VS and the tumbler carrier end plates have both been broken in the past. Someone has drilled and tapped the parts and screwed them together, which allows them to work, but I am paranoid about using it as it is in case it does not hold up and sheds parts into the gearbox causing more damage.
Does anyone have a spare carrier they could sell me please.
I have stripped the box to clean and check all the internals, and although some of the gears show signs of abuse, no teeth are missing, and all shafts are true.
One other part which I need is on the rear gear train, the 64 tooth gear that is between the stud gear and the sliding gear has a tooth missing. This does not stop it working, but, I suspect it could cause some problems with finish of turned parts, and probably affect threading finish.

I am located in East Sussex UK

Regards
John

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: 280VS tumbler gear support wanted.

Post by Pete. » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 21:42 pm

Hi John,

When you are referring to the 'tumbler', do you mean the tumbler reverse on the back of the headstock or the quick-change tumbler with the long spline gear in the quick-change gearbox? If it's the one in the gearbox then the assembly is held together by tiny screws from the factory. If yours has actually been broken as you say then I have a spare.

As for the 64 teeth gear, if it was any of the other three I would just say "don't worry about it" because they all mesh with other large gears and have several teeth in engagement together but since it's the idler then it meshes with low-toothcount gears, probably best to change it. If you don't have any luck finding an original you could discover the toothform and get one off the shelf from HPC.

oldboyouttheback
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1. Viceroy 280 VS. Weiss WM45 mill. A big hammer, a screwdriver and an oil can

Post by oldboyouttheback » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 22:16 pm

Hi Pete.

Sorry I should have said it's the tumbler inside the gearbox.

It has suffered a crash at some stage, and broken the front off the right side plate, and the left side plate has broken in two from the centre of gear teeth to the drum. Both have been screwed together with numerous screws.

Would you be prepared to sell me your spare tumbler and how much plus postage would you be wanting for it.

I have already checked out HPC for the gear and they do appear to have one that could be modified to fit.

Regards
John

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 23:34 pm

I have this bit if it's what you want send me your address and I'll post it to you. You'll have to use bits from yours to assemble it though. I don't want any money for it.
tumblerframe.jpg
tumblerframe.jpg (99.4 KiB) Viewed 4431 times

oldboyouttheback

Post by oldboyouttheback » Thu 25 Aug , 2016 0:24 am

Thankyou for your very kind offer, but I must pay something for it and postage cost. PM sent

John