TDS parts and advice

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Twoberth

TDS parts and advice

Post by Twoberth » Sat 30 Jul , 2016 17:55 pm

Hi,
I have just been given this lathe (Viceroy TDS 1/1 G.B.L.). Its metric and the following are missing;
Change gears (no surprise there) - all except G, hard centre and/or drill chuck for tail stock, chuck key, tool posts, tools, 'off' red light unit for cabinet, forward/backward lever for cabinet.

I would also like to get a secondhand cross slide (the shaft in mine is bent).

Also, I am going to fit a single phase motor (550W (0.75hp) 4pole 1425rpm) and would like a wiring diagram for a single phase set-up if possible. The cabinet has 3 phase wiring loom in place, but no motor - and one hanging (2 strand) wire with a cut off switch attached (which looks like it was riveted somewhere), and I am not sure where this goes.

Can anyone help with these items? I am sure most of this has been covered before so forgive me if we are going over old topics.
Attachments
Lathe.JPG
Lathe.JPG (30.91 KiB) Viewed 6820 times

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: TDS parts and advice

Post by Pete. » Sat 30 Jul , 2016 18:13 pm

I will wager that the electrical parts are missing because it was fitted with a VFD previously. I would give serious consideration to doing just that instead of fitting a single phase motor. I went the single phase route and have many times wished I hadn't.

Twoberth

Post by Twoberth » Sat 30 Jul , 2016 18:47 pm

Many thanks for that advice. I have seen your VFD video and may follow that route. Roughly, what was the cost?

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sat 30 Jul , 2016 19:33 pm

I think you are mistaking me for another Pete, as I don't know what video you're referring to. In any case, I would look at the power rating of your motor and select a VFD of similar or (even better) slightly higher rating, just to give yourself some comfort on capacity. I *think* you have a 1.5hp motor. Check under the electrical cover to be sure it can be configured for delta wiring.

Twoberth

Post by Twoberth » Sat 30 Jul , 2016 20:40 pm

Sorry Pete - mistaken identity! Thanks for your advice.

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Post by rpwilson » Sat 30 Jul , 2016 21:00 pm

Pete. wrote:I think you are mistaking me for another Pete, as I don't know what video you're referring to. In any case, I would look at the power rating of your motor and select a VFD of similar or (even better) slightly higher rating, just to give yourself some comfort on capacity. I *think* you have a 1.5hp motor. Check under the electrical cover to be sure it can be configured for delta wiring.
Doesn't the OP say he has 3 phase wiring but no motor? According to some Denford literature I've just been looking at, the standard motor was 0.75hp, but a 1.5hp was available as an option. My 280 Synchro, which is basically the same machine, except for the drive, and only 15mm more in centre height, has a 1.5hp motor as standard. I think I'd be looking at a bit bigger than 0.75hp, maybe 1hp at least, otherwise it might struggle at times. Some of the VFD suppliers offer a motor and VFD package which might be a good solution. Just strip out all the existing wiring, avoids trying to understand where it all goes, especially as there should be a couple of safety cut outs hidden in there somewhere just to complicate matters.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sat 30 Jul , 2016 23:10 pm

Ah yes he does say that - I just missed it. Well I guess that means there is a choice in which way to go.

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Wed 03 Aug , 2016 13:14 pm

Dazz (in New Zealand) has fitted a VFD.
See his posts here - viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3539

Andy