T-Slotted cross-slide

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

YouraT

T-Slotted cross-slide

Post by YouraT » Mon 07 Mar , 2016 23:28 pm

Hi all.

I'm now actually using my 250 after adding a VFD and cleaning the congealed crud out of the change-gear banjo etc... Some more cleaning still to do, but the machine is now usable.

I need to take a look at the bearing pre-load after looking at the finish Richard is getting once he sorted that out. Good result there.

One thing I'm missing is a T-slotted cross slide (I have a project that is *much* more easily done with one than any other way I can think of...) I've seen the steel one Daz got with his machine - very nice - but is steel the best material?

Has anyone either made a slotted cross slide from scratch, or know where castings that can easily be machined into one can be had? I've seen the casting available from MLA in the US, but that's a little too narrow I think for the ways on the Viceroy.

Where do I get appropriate gib strip material, and should I try to make a tapered gib?

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Youra.

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: T-Slotted cross-slide

Post by rpwilson » Tue 08 Mar , 2016 0:53 am

Where are you located? If you are in the UK, your best bet could be John Ward at www.latheparts. He does slotted cross slides for Boxfords and Raglans, chances are pretty good that he'd do one for a Viceroy too.
My 280 has a long slotted cross slide, but it was on when I got it, so I don't know where it came from.
Regarding the gib, the original is only a length of 1/2" x1/4" bright mild steel with the edges bevelled off, and that works fine, so no need to complicate life trying to make a taper gib, IMHO.

Richard

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Wed 09 Mar , 2016 8:14 am

Thanks Richard

I'm in the UK - Stockport - I've sent John Ward an email - let's see what he comes back with.

You're probably right about the tapered gib....!

Cheers,
Youra.

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Wed 09 Mar , 2016 23:12 pm

Hi all,

Is the drawing for the 250 topslide (slotted or otherwise) available anywhere? I guess it's pretty much the same as the other models.

OK - later edit - it's ML100-503, at least according to the parts list.

Thanks in anticipation,

Youra.

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rpwilson » Thu 10 Mar , 2016 1:07 am

YouraT wrote:Hi all,

Is the drawing for the 250 topslide (slotted or otherwise) available anywhere? I guess it's pretty much the same as the other models.

OK - later edit - it's ML100-503, at least according to the parts list.

Thanks in anticipation,

Youra.
Is it the topslide or cross slide you are after? If all else fails, I can sketch you the long slotted cross slide on my 280, after all, its not a complicated component.

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Thu 10 Mar , 2016 23:10 pm

The cross-slide, of course - silly me.... :?

Actually, I've found a drawing for the 280 version here:

viewtopic.php?t=1986

which from a couple of measurements on mine appears to be the same as that for the 250...

Anyone know if that's correct ? I see different part numbers in parts lists...

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rpwilson » Fri 11 Mar , 2016 9:13 am

Well found! Where did you find it? If it seems that its the same as yours, then use it for dimensions like slides. My long cross slide has 6 tee slots and measures 12 3/4" x 4 3/8" x 1 3/8" overall. I don't know if its a Denford one, or an aftermarket fitting.
Actually, that's a useful drawing you'e found, for me, because its got the dimensions on it for the anchor points for the profile/taper attachment, and I need to drill those in my spare 'standard' cross slide.

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by rpwilson » Sat 12 Mar , 2016 11:24 am

Looking at my copy of the 280 handbook, it refers to a boring table which can be fitted after the removal of the topslide. The inference from this is that it somehow clamps to the standard cross slide. Does anyone actually have one of these, and if so, how does it fit? The only photo I've got shows a table, nearly square, with a tee slot parallel to each side.

Richard