Key for tailstock barrel

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Key for tailstock barrel

Post by rpwilson » Fri 04 Sep , 2015 20:15 pm

Today I had to remove the tailstock barrel on my 51/2" Synchro, because it had got impossibly stiff to move. I had to drift it out, and after a certain amount of polishing of the barrel and the bore in the tailstock, its freed off. Still not sure what caused it, everything was well lubricated, and there hadn't been any recent traumas to upset things. While I was in there I noticed that the key which stops the barrel from rotating looked a little the worse for wear. I took it out, and the top disintegrated, which seemed a little odd, but now I need to make a new one. I can't find any details specifically for the Synchro, but the parts list for the 5" lathes describes the corresponding part as 'Tee Key' and gives the information that its 1/4"dia x 5/8" made of a material called KS, which I presume means Key Steel. Am I right in thinking then that the key is made from 1/4" sq key steel, turned down for most of its length to 1/4", leaving a short square head to engage the keyway in the barrel?

Richard Wilson

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: Key for tailstock barrel

Post by rpwilson » Tue 08 Sep , 2015 23:52 pm

Having drifted out the remains, it seems that the original was hardened, and had a shank 3/16" dia x 1/4" long, and must have had a head just under 5/16" wide to fit the keyway in the barrel. I've made the replacement from 5/8" dia silver steel, so the head is 9/32" wide, 3/32" deep and just under 5/8" long, but I haven't hardened it.