Taper turning attachment

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Taper turning attachment

Post by rpwilson » Sun 07 Sep , 2014 9:06 am

Does anyone have a 280 with an original Denford taper turning attachment on it? If so, could you do me a big favour, and measure the vertical distance between the main rail (the one with all the holes drilled in it at 2" centres) and the flat of the bed slideway nearest to it?

Richard

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Re: Taper turning attachment

Post by Andy B » Mon 08 Sep , 2014 7:44 am

Richard,

Do you have any reason to doubt that the dimension you're after is any different on a 280 to a 5" model?
I'm fairly sure that the beds were essentially the same on both - what tended to change was the heasdtock end to accomodate the various different drives that were used through the years.
I'll dig out all the bed drawings I have when I get some time - but things are even more busy than usual over the next couple of weeks so can't promise immediately.

Andy

rpwilson
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: None. I own a pre CNC Denford 280 Synchro lathe.

Re: Taper turning attachment

Post by rpwilson » Mon 08 Sep , 2014 11:52 am

Andy B wrote:Richard,

Do you have any reason to doubt that the dimension you're after is any different on a 280 to a 5" model?
I'm fairly sure that the beds were essentially the same on both - what tended to change was the heasdtock end to accomodate the various different drives that were used through the years.
I'll dig out all the bed drawings I have when I get some time - but things are even more busy than usual over the next couple of weeks so can't promise immediately.

Andy
Andy
The only reason I think the dimension might be different is that with the 280 being about 1/2" higher centre height, I presume that somewhere there is a difference in the saddle, so that the top of the topslides ends up roughly the same distance below centre height, as they seem to take similar toolposts and tooling. The stylus screws into the back of the cross slide, and needs to be the same level as the swivelling plate, so there might be a difference in height of the stylus above bed level.

None of the drawings I've seen so far show the location of any of the fixing screws for the taper turning device, and mine isn't drilled for the brackets, the stylus or the spring anchorages. I think these were probably only drilled at the factory on machines ordered to be fitting with the taper turning device from new. Possibly the holes were simply located and drilled by the fitters, and the information just doesn't exist on a drawing. I'll probably end up drilling the back of the cross slide for the stylus and then just working downwards from that to locate the brackets on the bed, but all of this is a very long way off, so there no rush. I've only just finished the bracket pattern let alone done anything else.

Richard