Back Gear engagement

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Giunchi

Back Gear engagement

Post by Giunchi » Thu 14 Aug , 2014 16:25 pm

Hello All,

I recently acquired a lathe (Viceroy TDS of some description). I have noticed that the back gear does not seem to engage particularly deep into the splines. In the picture you can see the large gear at the top left engaging only marginally into the splines on the shaft. https://www.dropbox.com/s/8k1syxy1y0z6uf1/DSC_0183.JPG.
Could anyone suggest whether this is correct?
Thanks in advance. By the way I have not powered the lathe up as I am still waiting for my mate to lend me a 220v 1 phase to 440 3phase converter.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Back Gear engagement

Post by Pete. » Thu 14 Aug , 2014 17:56 pm

Doesn't look like the dogs are fully engaged to me. If the handle is fully over it's probably one tooth out on the rack & pinion.

Giunchi

Re: Back Gear engagement

Post by Giunchi » Fri 15 Aug , 2014 11:32 am

Hello,
thanks for the rapid reply. I had a better look at the selector level. It doesn't seem to be operating a rack as you say, instead it turns a round plate that is fitted with an off centre pin. As the handle is rotated, the plate turns and the off centre pin pushes between two shoulders to move a small shaft. This shaft in turn moves the large gear in the picture. I wish I could get better pictures but my small inspection mirror is no good. Also when the gear is all the way in back gear mode it does engage perfectly with the smaller drive pinion in the bottom left. Any suggestions?