Viceroy now fitted with adjustable feet

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Viceroy now fitted with adjustable feet

Post by dazz » Thu 14 Nov , 2013 0:18 am

Hi

I am tall enough that I had to stoop over the Viceroy.
I fitted adjustable feet that reduced vibration through the floor and raised the lathe a few centimeters.
It is easier to use the lathe for long periods and I can clear the swarf that gets underneath.

The feet are specifically made for mounting machinery. They have a ball and socket joint plus rubber non-slip, anti-vibration pads.

The Viceroy is specifically designed for the installation of this style of foot. The mounting tubes are factory fitted. No modifications are required.
Attachments
IMG_2762.JPG
Machine mounting feet
IMG_2762.JPG (93.3 KiB) Viewed 5051 times
Regards

Dazz

Taylon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Standard PC using Firefox Browser.
Denford Viceroy TDS/PCS version 2 Metric Lathe

Re: Viceroy now fitted with adjustable feet

Post by Taylon » Thu 04 Dec , 2014 18:10 pm

Dear Dazz,

Saw you had fitted feet to your lathe.

Just word of caution; I too had fitted adjustable feet with integral casters using the cabinet bolt fixing holes. However, my lathe has been knocked over as the resulting increase in height of the centre of gravity had made the lathe less stable. Really you have to mount the feet on outriggers to ensure the centre of gravity is not affected. By using outriggers the lathe becomes more stable and less likely to be knocked over.

Its the old adage base over apex results in instability!

Can post photos of the outriggers made if you are interested.

Kindest regards, John R.

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Fri 05 Dec , 2014 10:18 am

Hi

A good point. That risk is mitigated with seismic restraints that will hold the lathe upright in the event of an earthquake or other disturbance.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=584
Regards

Dazz

Taylon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Standard PC using Firefox Browser.
Denford Viceroy TDS/PCS version 2 Metric Lathe

Post by Taylon » Thu 11 Dec , 2014 20:54 pm

Dear Dazz,

I know what it feels like to stoop over a machine as I am tall. However, when you use/add feet or casters to a Denford lathe even in the mounting holes provided it become less stable. Those 3 mounting holes are for directly bolting the machine to the floor. Just hold onto the bed and try and rock the lathe to and from you and you'll see what I mean. My lathe that I restored suffer a fall and considerable damage has resulted. Did not wish that to happen to you....

Increasing the height just few centimeters does in fact alter the centre of gravity of the machine. Just trying to alert you to a possible issue and not meant as any criticism.

Kindest regards, John R.

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Sun 28 Dec , 2014 17:19 pm

Hi All,
Merry Xmas, Happy holiday.
I was interested by this as I have a bad back and am quite tall as well.
I don't take anything away from the OP but I thought the forum might be interested in a different approach.
I pondered on how to raise my Lathe to a more comfortable height for a while, I had great schemes for steel channel sections bolted on etc, etc. I was in a well known (overpriced) DIY shed and I saw what they described as "railway
sleepers for raised beds". I bought one, cut it in half, and bolted it back together with 12mm screwed rod. I then creosoted it. The lathe is bolted down to it, and the stability is fine.
See picture.
Les.T.
IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3565.JPG (163.5 KiB) Viewed 4634 times