removing compound from swivel base

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

joncritoph

removing compound from swivel base

Post by joncritoph » Sun 23 Jun , 2013 14:40 pm

hi all

well im still trying to get this lathe sorted, have had it running and spun a few bits of metal, repairing bits as i go.

unfortunanlty seem to be a bit stuck on the simple task of lifting the compound off of its post. i have removed all 3 of the locking bolts, but it refuses to come off. looking down the bolt holes i can see some sort of plug, but they dont want to come out at all.

anyone else had a problem with this?, i assume the post has a taper like the boxford one? but i guese that the plugs have got damaged and stuck in.

am tempted to use some epoxy to stick a rod to the plugs, but not sure

any idea's? am i msising something obviouse?

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: removing compound from swivel base

Post by Pete. » Sun 23 Jun , 2013 17:39 pm

You're not missing anything. Spray some penetrating oil or other lubricant down the holes and screw in the lock screws to force it past the wedges to lubricate them, then try again. Working the compound should allow them to back off and release the compound from the taper.

joncritoph

Post by joncritoph » Sun 23 Jun , 2013 18:36 pm

ok cheers, iv tried spraying some fluid down there, but didn't think of putting the screws bcak in to force it past, ill give that a go.

hopefully it will loosen off eventually, i carefully tried using some wedges to lift the compound, but it only goes 2-3mm then is solid.

this lathe is really fighting me, been badly abused in a school. but hopefully i can get it in better shape.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sun 23 Jun , 2013 21:26 pm

Lift it by hand whilst turning it back and forth, it should 'walk' the wedges out on the taper.

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Mon 24 Jun , 2013 23:49 pm

Hi

See this post http://denfordata.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=457 to view what it looks like when it is apart.
Regards

Dazz