Anyone help selling a TDS/1/PCS Lathe ?

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

twstdpsycho

Anyone help selling a TDS/1/PCS Lathe ?

Post by twstdpsycho » Wed 21 Nov , 2012 16:04 pm

My dad recently passed away and I am left with a lathe to sell. all I know is it is a viceroy TDS/1/PCS 3 phase 440v plugged into normal household mains supply and runs fine but do have some pics I can attach. Anyone have any idea how much these go for if anything?
Attachments
DSCF5040.jpg
DSCF5040.jpg (150.75 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
DSCF5037.jpg
DSCF5037.jpg (114.82 KiB) Viewed 7992 times
DSCF5036.jpg
DSCF5036.jpg (114.97 KiB) Viewed 7992 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Anyone help?

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 22 Nov , 2012 11:06 am

Have moved the post to the Viceroy section and added a shadow copy of it in the Classifieds.
Users can watch certain sections for anything they might be interested in or can help with so thought this would be better there.

Other Viceroy users should be able to give you an idea of it's value - I'd guess at a couple of hundred but really can't say what they go for. Looks in nice working order though :)

Andy B
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: 280 VS lathe, Denford Senior E-type mill, Senior Major Universal Mill

Post by Andy B » Fri 23 Nov , 2012 11:48 am

This is a reasonable spec machine - 'PCS' means it has power feed on the cross-slide as well as on the saddle.
The main thing that affects the price on these (assuming there is no significant wear) is what accessories are with it - I would expect to get more than Admin's estimate.

It has a quick-change toolpost - there should be more tool holders for it (the more the better!)
There should be a set of changewheels (gears) for different threads and feeds.
Is there a 4 jaw chuck?
Outside jaws for the 3-jaw chuck?
Tailstock chuck?
Steadies?
Vertical slide?
Boring table?

Looks like a home-built rotary phase converter.

If you want further help to identify what's what, have a look through the cabinet and other shelves and cupboards and take some photos of what you find. Post them here or send me a PM.

It looks as though it has got some recent surface rust staining - to avoid that becoming worse I suggest a good wipe (rub) over with a rag and some clean oil, and put some sort of cover over the machine to prevent condensation - particularly with the current cold damp weather.
Andy

twstdpsycho

Post by twstdpsycho » Fri 23 Nov , 2012 12:16 pm

There is a four jaw chuck and numerous other bits in the cupboard that I need to look through yet lol believe me this shed is a mammoth task of clearing out.

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Post by LesT » Sat 24 Nov , 2012 21:07 pm

If you have any steadies I am interested in buying them !.
As to the value of the Lathe, I would guess at something over 250 quid on Ebay,
I agree with Andy as to selling points increasing value.
For instance: How many toolholders are there for the QC toolpost ?
It would be worth spending an afternoon cleaning and oiling the Lathe to make it
look its best for photos prior to advertising it.

Regards,

Les T.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Tue 27 Nov , 2012 18:55 pm

Sweep/hoover off all the shavings and then get some wd40 and green scotchbrite and go over the surface rust - you won't harm the machine and it'll look 10 times better. Then oil it up and if it had steadies put them in place, show the extra bits like chucks, chengewheels (quite important that one) and any other tooling you have, then stuff it on eBay and make sure you note the converter (if it has one) in the auction. You'll get 3-400 easy - probably more. The toolpost and pair of chucks are probably worth 150-200 if they are in good nick. Steadies are like rocking horse doo-doo for Denfords so if you have one or both of those it's a big help.

jpopowski

Re: Anyone help selling a TDS/1/PCS Lathe ?

Post by jpopowski » Mon 26 Aug , 2013 13:22 pm

Hi,

Has this machine been sold?

Thanks,
Jan