TDS1/1 lathe weight

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

tugela

TDS1/1 lathe weight

Post by tugela » Wed 14 Nov , 2012 16:44 pm

Does anyone know the approximate weight of a "Viceroy" TDS1/1 lathe?

LesT
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: An old Viceroy with a half installed invertor drive,(when I can decide where to put the control pushbuttons I will wire it up properly)
A WMD25V mini mill.
Tractor, Bobcat 320, and Dumper truck.
7 sheds, about 5 (?) mowers. etc, etc.

Re: TDS1/1 lathe weight

Post by LesT » Wed 14 Nov , 2012 21:12 pm

Hi,
Its pretty heavy.
The handbook seems to suggest the gross weight is about 497Kg,
(Which seems a bit heavy to me)
You can move one quite easily on concrete though.
All you do is shove the carriage and tailstock up to headstock end, if you are reasonably strong
you can then lift the tailstock end up a couple of inches and put some pieces of strong steel tube under the base.
(scaffold pipe or similar).
If you then roll it to the balance point you can put more pieces of pipe in and roll it along.
(Like the ancient Egyptians used to do).
STRONG safety warning though, if it fall on you it could kill you.
Handbook link- cut and paste.

http://www.denfordata.com/pdfs/Viceroy- ... -Lathe.pdf

tugela

Post by tugela » Thu 15 Nov , 2012 11:17 am

Thanks for your reply

My last lathe in S.A. was a Harrison M250, so most of the tailstock equipment I made was MT3, so it could be used in the "Viceroy".

As the "Viceroy" developed from the Boxford (which was my first lathe), I hoped it was a similar weight, which was not 497Kg, although I notice that is "gross" not "nett" - not sure what the difference is, unless the packing was exceptionally heavy. The transport costs for +/- 500Kg using a "professional" haulier is astronomically high, so I had hoped to use the more traditional brute strength, but that now seems unlikely.

Bogus105
Hardware/Software: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 GBL and TSA-16 lathes, Klopp 300 metal shaper, RF_45-like chineese benchtop mill machine

Post by Bogus105 » Tue 23 Apr , 2013 8:47 am

Hi,

whan I was buying mine TDS 1/1GB I was informed that it weights ca 350kg (the lathe itself w/o accessories). Look at the back cover of the owner's manual: it says the lathe weights 350kg.