Hi from a Newbie and some questions.....

All info relating to Viceroy machines - Lathes, sharpedge, drills etc...

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

YouraT

Hi from a Newbie and some questions.....

Post by YouraT » Mon 23 Apr , 2012 22:42 pm

Hi all.

Happy owner of a new (to me at least!) Viceroy lathe - there are some pictures at:

https://picasaweb.google.com/youra.turc ... ordViceroy

Currently just how it arrived, without any cleaning.

The name plate is missing, but as far as I can tell, it's a TDS 1/1 GB (metric) - does that sound right ? The center height also appears to be 5.5" - is that right - I've only come across references to 5" ?

Also, although it was originally a 3ph machine, there is currently a 1ph motor fitted, with what can only be thought of as some 'interesting' wiring on the part of the previous owner. I'd like to re-instate a 3ph motor and add a VFD - I can't though find a motor spec anywhere, and the parts lists I've found on the board doesn't help with the Asea part number of the originally fitted motor. Can anyone point me at what I need?

I'd also like to fit a T-Slotted cross-slide (I've heard good things about rear parting tools) but I can't find the drawing number for the original optional part in the parts list anywhere - again, does anyone know what it is, or is one available from someone ?

The lathe appears to need only a d*mn good clean to make a very nice machine - it's been standing unused for around 13 years, and the spindle bearing grease has solidified a tad! Is it best to remove the spindle entirely to clean this out, or can I just flush with a suitable solvent after having taken the outer bearing covers off?

Many thanks in advance,

Youra.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Hi from a Newbie and some questions.....

Post by Pete. » Tue 24 Apr , 2012 19:22 pm

I'd try flushing the bearings out with oil or fresh grease. Even if you remove the spindle you might be hard-pressed to get all of the grease bits out. getting the spindle up to temp and pumping grease in would be just as good IMO.

Attached is the motor plate from my (slightly later) Viceroy.
Attachments
motorplate.jpg
motorplate.jpg (168.25 KiB) Viewed 6238 times

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Sat 28 Apr , 2012 21:02 pm

Thanks Pete.

As well as that rating plate, I've also had a reply from a third party selling a Viceroy of the same vintage as mine on eBay with these motor details:

Hoover
type 2543haf1633b
Rating/machine
cycles 50
amps 1.4
volts 400-440
horsepower 3/4
phase 3
rpm 1425

I've not been able to conjure up the frame mounting or shaft details from either of those [part numbers unfortunately.

Will carry on looking - one concern with the current 1ph motor is that it's clearly not lined up right (stepped pulleys don't match exactly - they are one step out), I won't be able to tell until I pull it out if that's due to the shaft length, the mounting points, or even a bit of both.... It'll have to come out at some point as the electrics are truly shocking (although thankfully not in all senses of the word!)

Youra.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Sun 29 Apr , 2012 7:59 am

3/4HP is not enough really in my opinion, you want 1.5 for this lathe at least. As for mounting - you can fit anything with a bit of imagination and adaption.

Bogus105
Hardware/Software: Viceroy T.D.S 1/1 GBL and TSA-16 lathes, Klopp 300 metal shaper, RF_45-like chineese benchtop mill machine

Post by Bogus105 » Fri 30 Nov , 2012 5:49 am

I have 3/4 HP (550W) motor in mine lathe too. It is pretty weak indeed. It seems there where two types of motors installed in these lathes - 3/4HP and 1.5HP. Why is that? Do you guys think that it is good idea to mount something bigger than 1.5HP (1100W)? Does the lathes' mechanics withstand it?

dazz
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Viceroy TDS 1/1GB lathe, Imperial, stripped down and rebuilt.
Viceroy Taper/Tracer attachment, Shop made cross slide tracer attachment, VSD.

Post by dazz » Tue 04 Dec , 2012 22:33 pm

Hi
The bigger 3phase motor was an option intended for light industrial users.

Dazz
Regards

Dazz

YouraT

Post by YouraT » Tue 04 Dec , 2012 22:39 pm

I guess the only difference is in metal removal rates possible - or is that just a simplistic view?

I was planning on a 1HP unit or thereabouts (mostly because I have a spare suitably rated invertor.....), and I'm not light industrial by any stretch :mrgreen:

What seems weak in the case of the 3/4HP motor ?

Youra.

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Tue 04 Dec , 2012 22:42 pm

I have a 1.5hp on mine and I wish it was stronger.