Versa Laser is not cutting deep enough

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Versa Laser is not cutting deep enough

Post by bradders » Tue 21 Mar , 2006 10:22 am

My Versa Laser is not cutting deep enough
Last edited by bradders on Tue 21 Mar , 2006 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Tue 21 Mar , 2006 10:28 am

Jog the Laser over the material you are going to cut. Place the height checking bar (Black base with White stepped rod) on top of the material and under the Red anodised plate next to the Laser cutting head. The step on the White stepped rod should just fit under the Red anodised plate for correct height ajustment. If this is not the case recalibrate

delthor

My Versa Laser is not cutting deep enough

Post by delthor » Sun 02 Jul , 2006 15:08 pm

Hi Bradders,

I read the problem about your Versa Laser not cutting deep enough with interest and also your remedy as the Versa Laser VL300 that we have purchased recently is doing exactly the same now.

However, not quite sure what you mean when you say that if the correct height adjusment is confirmed and this is not the case then recalibrate ?

Please can you explain how you recalibrate this machine - Versa Laser VL300 .

Many thank's

delthor

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 03 Jul , 2006 9:27 am

See this PDF on how the re-calibrate your laser

http://www.denfordata.com/pdfs/versalas ... ration.pdf
Using the nylon calibration stick would only apply if you are using the auto-focus mode which adjust the height of the table automatically according to the thickness of material entered. Otherwise you will always need to use the calibration stick to keep the laser beam focused properly.

Poor cutting also occurs when the lenses get coated with smoke and dust causing a loss in laser power - use the special cleaning fluid and 'cotton buds' that will have been supplied

tecteach

Re: Versa Laser is not cutting deep enough

Post by tecteach » Tue 20 Sep , 2011 15:46 pm

I am finding the laser will not cut through the material using the auto focus mode (as it was orignally set up). We haven't got the stepped tool you mention in our box that came with the laser. I have cleaned everything, got Auto Z enabled etc, BUT the laser does seem to be higher than normal when cutting ?
Also, the link above does not work :(
Why did I choose this profession, cos it aint for the money !

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 20 Sep , 2011 15:57 pm

Hi,

Fixed the link earlier today, so should be ok if you refresh...

tecteach

Post by tecteach » Wed 28 Sep , 2011 13:01 pm

Have sorted out a calibration tool and reset the engraving table and cutting bed, they were about 1.0mm out.
BUT, we are still having problems, the laser seems very bright and has created a large burn mark around the cutting area setting the wood on fire. The finished cut is charred and has charcoal around the edges.
It will cut through acrylic when set to +50% but not through mdf even when set to acrylic.
Please advise ?

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Wed 28 Sep , 2011 13:39 pm

Are you logging on to the PC as a User or Administrator?
If as a User, you may not have the rights to save the new focal height you have just set with the tool. Give full control to the following folders
We have to give FULL CONTROL permission to the following folders:
\Program Files\ULS
\Program Files\ULSdb
\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\ULSVL
The last folder is a hidden folder, so the administrator must turn on "Show Hidden Files and Folders" setting in the Windows Explorer, View menu, Folder Options, Advanced Settings dialog box.

Try setting the focal height again, switch off PC and laser and reboot / connect, let the "Z" axis home and jog it to position 0.000. Try fitting the setting tool under the red anodised plate, if it fits snugly then the setting for the Z axis is OK.

If your laser is old it may need a replacement laser cartridge. Or dirty optics, misaligned / blocked air assist cone.

tecteach

Post by tecteach » Wed 28 Sep , 2011 14:18 pm

I have full administration rights, the laser is just over two years old, the optics have been cleaned and we are now at a loss over what to do next. This machine is critical to our GCSE group and it isn't working.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Wed 28 Sep , 2011 14:33 pm

I have PMed you.

Please note ? you will always get some burning and charring of wood to some degree.

At the beginning you said you have lost the setting tool, the a few posts back you said you have it set correctly, does this mean you found the setting tool?

Ring Denford's 01484 728000

tecteach

Post by tecteach » Wed 28 Sep , 2011 14:43 pm

Nope we made one from instructions given to our technician.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Wed 28 Sep , 2011 15:02 pm

What is the actual depth you have made the setting tool?

The laser beam is a cone shape, when it comes to its focal point, is should be a point, below the focal point the beam starts to diverge to form a mirror image of the upper cone (Something like the shepe of a hour glass), if the focal point is not set correctly the work is cut further up/down the cone and thus creating a wider cutting gap. You could try resetting the focal height in sightly different position from what you hvve now, this will be trial and error but may het you up and running temporary before the serivice visit