Settings to use when cutting 1.5mm polystyrene sheet?

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

calgar

Settings to use when cutting 1.5mm polystyrene sheet?

Post by calgar » Mon 26 Mar , 2007 19:35 pm

Hi,
what setting should be used on this machine when cutting 1.5mm sheet polystyrene?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Tue 27 Mar , 2007 7:48 am

What machine are you using? (what is the maximum spindle speed and feedrate you have available?

What size cutter are you planning to use?

Unless the foam is a very tight closed cell I think you will have trouble cutting it at all.

I would run the spindle as fast as you can then program a move with the maximum feedrate and turn the feed override down to zero. Start the program and increase the feed (using the override) to a point wher you get the best cut. Work out what feed you have then program this in the future.

This method is good for most materials.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 27 Mar , 2007 10:29 am

As we are in the Versalaser section, I think he is talking about a laser :shock: ?

Polystyrene doesn't laser cut so well as it tends to burn and melt. I'm also not sure if the gases given off are that healthy for you :cry:
As there are lots of different types of styrene, its very hard to say for sure without trying a particular sheet, but I would try the plastic / acryllic settings and set the thickness to 1.5mm and turn the intensity down initially.

calgar

Post by calgar » Tue 27 Mar , 2007 20:36 pm

that is what i have been doing, however even at -20% it still seems to get the honeycomb pattern from the bed on the reverse side of the sheet (where, it has melted it)

is there a way to lower the power setting any further?

edit: just to make sure we are both thinking about the same stuff, i am talking about the solid sheets that are often marketed as "plasticard", not the expanded foam

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Wed 28 Mar , 2007 8:03 am

The Honeycomb bed is there to prevent splashback from the laser as it hits the cutting table.

You could try raising up the material onto a sacrifice sheet of MDF or even on spacers so it is clear of the honeycomb. You would then have to change the material thickness to the new height above the table.

This may prevent the splashback.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 29 Mar , 2007 9:19 am

is there a way to lower the power setting any further?
Without the advanced driver, you can only change the power by +/-20% for that material.
If you try picking a softer/easier to cut material, this may help.

I still think you will get the reflected honeycombe pattern, as the beam must go through the sheet fully, in order to cut it.
You could try some kind of sticky backing tape to help diffuse the reflection from the bed

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 29 Mar , 2007 10:03 am

What about raising it off the honeycomb bed as suggested. Then when you send (print) to the versalaser print window you can set it to a custom fixture & input the height.

1. Send a print to the versalaser.

2. In the ULS VersaLaser Settings window change the"Fixture Type" (bottom left corner) to custom fixture.

3. Input the height below the fixture type. (height of blocks or base)

Then you can print as normal but the bed will drop to suit the height you requested.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Thu 29 Mar , 2007 10:29 am

The other option is to turn off the Auto Z in the ULS VCP & set the height manually. This would then let you set the material thickness to a smaller amount thus reducing the power.

1. Open the Versalaser Control Panel (VCP) window.

2. Go into the "Setup" tab.

3. Un tick the Auto Z

4. you will then need to focus the Z manually.

5. By dropping the material thickness when printing it will lower the power settings while keeping the top of the machine focussed
Attachments
download.doc
(125.5 KiB) Downloaded 872 times

ULS Service

Polystyrene Cutting

Post by ULS Service » Tue 24 Apr , 2007 18:24 pm

is a very bad work to do, but you are able to do it with good results when you use a lower power but cut the material in several passes.

In this way the material does not intend so much melting and the cutting edge will be more useful as without this trick.

regards
Bernhard
best regards
Bernhard