Laser cutter startup / installation issues

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Mark Langford
Hardware/Software: VSL, Turn 260, Router 2600

Laser cutter startup / installation issues

Post by Mark Langford » Fri 07 Sep , 2012 11:25 am

I am trying to set up our new VLS, first time setting one up.

Working through the step-by-step instructions in the manual, I have got as far as plugging the USB cable into the computer, and ground to a halt.

Plugging in the cable is supposed to trigger a “new hardware” pop-up. This is not happening.

Neither is the cutter powering up – yes, it’s plugged in, yes, the mains is on, but when I hit the power button, nothing happens.

The Thermal Sensor battery is fresh, the lid is shut, I’ve even checked that the laser cartridge is plugged in.

What should I check next?

:?:

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Laser cutter startup / installation issues

Post by Martin » Fri 07 Sep , 2012 20:51 pm

When you open the ULS Control Panel it should say idle in the bottom left hand corner.
If it is saying disconected make sure the USB device is being recognised in Device Manager.

Open Device Manager & then unplug the USB lead. Wait 10 seconds then plug back in. Device Manager should refresh but it may show the device with a yellow question mark in which case you will need to tell it to look for the driver. This can take several minutes on some Vista PC's & older units

What version of Windows are you using?
Have you got full Administrator rights to install the software?

Mark Langford
Hardware/Software: VSL, Turn 260, Router 2600

Post by Mark Langford » Sat 08 Sep , 2012 11:57 am

It's XP Enterprise, I think (typing from home now).

I have *no* admin rights on the computer being used, because we're a school, and only the IT chappie is allowed to install anything.

He installed the software for me, before I connected it to the cutter, and says that the lack of pop-ups is nothing to do with him, but I *think* that I can't access all of the device manager.

Hmmm...

Am I going to need an admin access to finish this install properly, and will the installation still work when non-admins log in?

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sun 09 Sep , 2012 9:16 am

Yes I would think so.

Unplug the USB & then get the Admin to log on. Then when you plug it back in it should detect & install 2 x USB devices.

It should then work fine as a restricted user.