CorelDraw Home & Student or full Graphics Suite

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

mickb
Hardware/Software: VLS 4.60
XP
CorelDraw

CorelDraw Home & Student or full Graphics Suite

Post by mickb » Tue 04 Sep , 2012 8:35 am

Hi there, I hope you can help me with a spending decision. I have just acquired a VLS 4.60 and am looking to select a drawing package, CorelDraw pops up as the most popular on YOUTUBE tutorials so thats my current favorite, BUT, there are 2 versions available Home & Student or Graphics Suite.

Will I miss out on anything significant by selecting the Home & Student version at 25% the price of Graphics Suite ?

Oh - I currently have Visio but find it rather fiddly to use.

Thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: CorelDraw Home & Student or full Graphics Suite

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 04 Sep , 2012 8:59 am

Just had a quick look at the cheapest option: X5 Home & Student and that looks like it'll do everything you need and more.
It includes photo editing which you really want to get the contrast right when engraving images on the laser.
It also includes bitmap to vector conversion which is really useful for engraving and cutting out from images.
The vector and font tools will probably do everything you need but it's hard to tell which features might be missing in this version, text that follows a path is a useful one.
I'd say X5 Home & Student would be the best place to start, then if you find you need more features you'll know what to look for.

mickb
XP
CorelDraw

Post by mickb » Tue 04 Sep , 2012 9:49 am

Thanks for the speedy reply !!

Text following curved paths ... hmm ... useful for logos etc

I see web comments say that x5 buggy .... would X4 be a better bet if I can get a copy ?

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 04 Sep , 2012 10:14 am

X6 might be better then but I couldn't see any reviews on Amazon.

mickb
XP
CorelDraw

Post by mickb » Wed 05 Dec , 2012 11:53 am

Just a quick update ... got a copy of X4 ... sealed new copy with damaged box from eBay.

Working fine and doing everything I need.

:D