VL-300. Advanced Driver

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

petereggington

VL-300. Advanced Driver

Post by petereggington » Tue 15 May , 2012 21:06 pm

Hi,

Since my last post I have my VL-300 working properly. I have just cleaned both mirrors and the lens and will now cut through 3mm acrylic with ease (had to do three passes in order to cut through yesterday!)

I have used a larger Universal Laser at school (I'm a DT Teacher) and am very used to chnging the Power and Speed to work with different materials. Is this not an option with the VL-300? I seem only to be able to select te material from the pop up. The only setting that can be changed are Intensity (I assume this provides more power to the laser on settings from -20 to +20, should this be set to anything inparticular?) and Tuning (No idea what this does!). Is it possible to operate a VL-300 by setting a power and speed value?

The only other problem I have is with the extractor. The LED's do not light up on the unit. I had to change the fuse for the compressor as this did not work but the fuses for everything else all look ok. THe extravtor only has a grren button (ON) and a red button (OFF). I though I had read somewhere that the laser can communicate with the extractor to tell it when to come on. How is this possible.

Many Thanks in advance

Pete

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: VL-300. Advanced Driver

Post by bradders » Thu 17 May , 2012 8:52 am

You need the file UlsAdvanced.exe to activate the Advanced Driver.
Attachments
UlsAdvanced.rar
(54.35 KiB) Downloaded 836 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 17 May , 2012 14:16 pm

I though I had read somewhere that the laser can communicate with the extractor to tell it when to come on. How is this possible.
The older lasers had additional USB ports on them to connect the extractor to the laser

petereggington

Post by petereggington » Sat 19 May , 2012 7:15 am

Yeah I see the USB hub on the back of the LAser, but there are no USB's on the extractor unit. Maybe they offered them with a different extractor which had them at some stage!

Pete

petereggington

Post by petereggington » Sat 19 May , 2012 16:56 pm

Bradders, that file seems to be the newer VLS driver, it doesn't seem to work with my VL-300!

Thanks for the quick reply again,
Pete

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Mon 21 May , 2012 8:58 am

Windows XP (ONLY)
• Power ON your PC. If your PC is already ON, close all programs.
• Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
• Click Add Printer. When the Add Printer Wizard dialog box appears click Next.
• Choose Local Printer attached to this computer and deselect (uncheck) Automatically detect and
install my Plug & Play Printer and then click Next.
• Use the following Port (LPT1) should already be selected. We recommend the use of this port. If the
system is connected to a different port, choose the correct port from the dropdown list and click Next.
• Click Have Disk, insert the printer driver CD-ROM, which can be found in a sleeve attached to the
rear cover of this manual, and then click Browse. Locate the ULS2000.inf file in the
\WIN2000_XP_Vxxxx\ folder (where xxxx is the version number), click Open, and then click OK.
• When the list of printers appears, choose your model from the list. If you are unsure of your model’s
name, turn on the laser system and the model name will appear in the control panel display while the
system is initializing or the model name can also be found engraved on the serial tag found on the
backside of the machine. Click Next.
• The Name your printer dialog box will appear. You may rename the printer if you like, however, we
suggest that you leave the name unchanged or simply add a word or two after the name (keeping the
name, including blank spaces, under 31 characters). Choose to whether or not you would like it to be
your default printer and then click Next.
• The Printer Sharing dialog box will appear. Unless you are planning to share the laser system on a
network, select Do not share this printer. Please consult your network administrator if you would like
to share the laser system on your network.
• Select No to Do you want to print a test page and then click Next.
• Click Finish to close the wizard. When the Windows Logo Testing warning appears click Continue
Anyway.
• After the driver finishes installation, store your printer driver disk in a safe place for future reference.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 21 May , 2012 11:33 am

Windows XP (ONLY)
• Power ON your PC. If your PC is already ON, close all programs.
• Click Start, and then click Printers and Faxes.
• Click Add Printer. When the Add Printer Wizard dialog box appears click Next.....
Are those instructions to get the advanced driver working on a VL300 then ?

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Mon 21 May , 2012 11:36 am

I got those from a Versa Laser manual that was for the Advanced Driver. But I have just installed the Versa Laser 1.29.5 driver from our web and is has installed a VL300ADVANCED option in the PRINTERS and FAXES section of Windows and this has the Advanced Driver options.

petereggington

Post by petereggington » Mon 21 May , 2012 19:35 pm

I have tried the work around above but still to no avail. I do not get any advanced settings this way. I have downloaded the v1.29.5 drivers and the v1.3 ones from the denford site but does not work with either.

I wonder if yours has already got the drivers installed? I do not have the CD only what I have downloaded from the site.

Cheers
Pete

P.s I have just etched onto some translucent polypropylene and it has come out red. Is this normal? I'll try and put a picture on if I can!

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 21 May , 2012 22:39 pm

It may be vapour from previous cut jobs off the honeycomb bed. Can you try it with a custom fixture to lift it away from the bed.