VL-300 not powering up

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

petereggington

VL-300 not powering up

Post by petereggington » Sat 12 May , 2012 6:56 am

Hi,

I have recently aquired a VL-300 from a school that was closing down. Currently the machine will not switch on, and I had expected that from reading the forum the 48V power supply would need replacing. I have taken these out and tested them and both units work correctly. Each gives 48V at the outputs when connected up.

Abyone know what would be the next item to check to diagnose the fault with the machine.

Cheers
Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: VL-300 not powering up

Post by Martin » Sat 12 May , 2012 8:09 am

Hi Pete,
Have you got it connected to a computer?

The internal CPU gets it's power (5Volts DC) via the USB cable so make sure you have the software installed & running)
In the bottom left hand corner it should say "idle". (when the ULS control panel is run)
At this point you should be able to turn on the machine with either power button.

You can download the latest ULS software (VersaLaser v 1.30 (3Mb) includes 32Bit and 64Bit drivers for Win7 - Uploaded 6th Dec 2010) from,

http://www.website.denford.ltd.uk/suppo ... -downloads

petereggington

Post by petereggington » Sat 12 May , 2012 11:41 am

Hi,

I haven't got it connected to a computer as of yet! I have done a little more testing and found that the 7 pin connecter to each of the power supply is preventing the machine from powering up. The datasheet for the power supply is very vague with information about this connector. There are 3 wires coming from it (White, Green and Yellow). Two of these (Green and Yellow) also connect to the circuit board next to the power supplies.

I have disconnected these and powered the machine and it will run (Laser unit not connected however) - If this is some sort of feedback I wasnt sure if it could damage something more expensive!

Culd this all be because I haven't got it connected to a PC? I currently dont have one near the machine but do have a netbook with the software installed ready to try, but have been waiting until the machine was working!

Hope all this makes sense

Thanks for the quick reply Martin.

Pete

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 12 May , 2012 12:32 pm

Yes you need to be connected to a computer in order to power up a VL300.

petereggington

Post by petereggington » Sat 12 May , 2012 14:24 pm

You are a LEGEND!

Now I just need to figure out how to use it!

Cheers
Pete