External extraction from Cart

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

nolly53
Hardware/Software: VLS 3.5 Laser

External extraction from Cart

Post by nolly53 » Tue 04 Oct , 2011 0:17 am

We have been using our Versalaser for about 18 months. We use it with the fume extraction cart. We have just started to use it again after the summer. The smell when using the machine recently has been aweful, and certainly gave me a headache. We have been cutting 2mm clear acrylic. To try to improve things, we have cleaned the grid, washed out the hose and replaced the carbon filter. The other filter has not indicated that it needs to be replaced so we have left it in the meantime. It still smells aweful.

One thought that I had was to extract the output from the cart out of the building. This is bound to solve the problem (isn't it?). If we do so, do we need to follow the instructions on your "Notes on laser fume/particle extraction or can we just run a long (10m) 75mm flexible venting hose to the outside world.

Your thoughts?

nolly53 :cry: (This is me with a headache)

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: External extraction from Cart

Post by Martin » Tue 04 Oct , 2011 6:56 am

Which extraction cart are you using?

nolly53
Hardware/Software: VLS 3.5 Laser

Post by nolly53 » Tue 04 Oct , 2011 13:20 pm

Advantage VL

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 04 Oct , 2011 16:29 pm

Yes a 75mm hose to the outside world should get rid of the smell from the perspex.

Martin