Extraction Advice

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Crakkers
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Extraction Advice

Post by Crakkers » Thu 14 Oct , 2010 21:44 pm

Hello

We have a VL300 and have taken a hose from the extraction outlet through a "hole in the wall". We have removed the charcoal filter. The extraction is now brilliant compared to extracting into the rrom. However the screen shots tell us that the life of this filter is still decreasing when it is infact not there! This means that the machine will stop one day soon and without a new activation code will not work. The new code will cost me £??? pounds.

This appears a bit of a con! Is there any way around this?

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Extraction Advice

Post by Steve » Fri 15 Oct , 2010 8:44 am

Hi,

I am not sure how safe extracting without a filter is or what the H&S implications would be as pottentially toxic fumes are extracted to air. With external extraction normally you would not use the fan in the extraction cart. Please see the attached extract from the Laser Manual.
Attachments
versa Laser External Extraction.pdf
(28.94 KiB) Downloaded 1005 times

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Fri 15 Oct , 2010 8:55 am

You are correct that the filter code works on a time system.. The cart you have is created by ULS and they have a formula that works out the valid life of the filter based on the amount of time the filter is used and the materials being cut.

ULS would not condone running the cart without the carbon filter as they could be exposed to liability if someone was harmed by toxic fumes.

If you want to run the cart without using the USB then you would have to hard wire the motor to a stop start button and not use the USB.

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Tue 24 Jun , 2014 21:33 pm

Ive just had this happen :(

If I were to go down the route of hard wiring a manual start/stop on the extraction do I just need to unplug the USB lead to the extractor unit to stop the Carbon filter warning coming up?

Cheers

Pete