Cutting paper and card

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

fenster

Cutting paper and card

Post by fenster » Tue 02 Mar , 2010 2:11 am

Hi
I have only had my VLS3.50 50watt for a week and have been trying different materials I cannot find a setting that doesn't scorch the edge of the paper or card. Is this normal or is there a setting that won't do it? I have tried adjusting the intensity but this didn't work.

Also any ideas what would be the best setting to cut High Impact Polystyrene I have tried variations of acrylic and card but the edge seems to melt.

Any help greatly appreciated

Wayne

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Cutting paper and card

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 02 Mar , 2010 16:32 pm

Had this from someone here who uses them a bit:
I have tried cutter some paper on our 50W laser and there was no scorch marks.
I used ‘paper’ material with a thickness of 0.1mm – 0% override. VersaLaser control panel software version 5.26.
You could try reducing the airflow by adjusting the valve as described on p79 of the User-guide. ( this is a .pdf document located on the installation CD)
As regards HIPs, in our experience also we have found that it is not a suitable material to cut on the laser as it tends to melt too easily.

npala

Re: Cutting paper and card

Post by npala » Sat 06 Mar , 2010 10:15 am

fenster wrote:Hi
I have only had my VLS3.50 50watt for a week and have been trying different materials I cannot find a setting that doesn't scorch the edge of the paper or card. Is this normal or is there a setting that won't do it? I have tried adjusting the intensity but this didn't work.

Also any ideas what would be the best setting to cut High Impact Polystyrene I have tried variations of acrylic and card but the edge seems to melt.

Any help greatly appreciated

Wayne
Hi,
I have a VLS3.50, 40Watt, and I send you some settings that work at me (power (%)/speed(%)/PPI):
- paper/cardboard 250g/mp - 60/80/1000. Increase speed if burn too much;
- acrylic transparent, 6mm - 2 passes: 1. 100/3/1000 and 2. 100/15/1000 and rise table with 1mm.

But.... hey: laser burn! :)
I make 2 years of tests on diferent materials .... and still do tests.

www.gravez.ro
www.myfav.ro
www.fotogravura.ro