Marking the underside of acrylic

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

tecteach

Marking the underside of acrylic

Post by tecteach » Mon 25 Jan , 2010 21:58 pm

I have noticed when I am cutting white opaque acrylic it marks on the underside. Is there anyway I can prevent this as I want to dye sublimate on both sides ?
Also, is there a good way to clean the honeycomb cutting bed other than wiping it carefully ?
Why did I choose this profession, cos it aint for the money !

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Marking the underside of acrylic

Post by Martin » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 0:39 am

You could try packing the acrylic up on spacers. . Is it the vapour marks that that is the issue? If it is you could also wipe it off with acetone. You can buy nail polish remover with acetone in for a pound or two which then wipes the vapour marks off in seconds.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Marking the underside of acrylic

Post by Steve » Tue 26 Jan , 2010 9:27 am

If you lift the material up you will have to use the Custom fixture option or manual focus so that the laser focus is correct and the power is not excessive.

If you lift up the work by 3mm and the work is 3mm thick if you put in 6mm as the material thickness the power would be too high for the 3mm material but the focus disctance would be correct.

If you use the custom fixture and set this to 3mm and the material to 3mm the power and the focus will be correct. :D