How can I keep my Versa laser in tip top condition ?

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 01 Oct , 2009 10:46 am

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Versa Laser in tip top condition

Post by bradders » Thu 01 Oct , 2009 10:47 am

To keep the Versa laser in tip top condition try and always follow these basic routines and checks before using the laser.

• Always check the water trap bottle to make sure the bottle has not got too much water in. Squeeze upwards the black base with the extraction unit switched on to expel the water. If you don’t turn on the extraction unit you will need a cup to collect the water. (Make sure you don’t have any electrical extension leads below the water trap bottle)
• Check to see if you have enough air coming through the black nose cone. To check this turn on the extraction unit, lift the lid and place the palm of your hand under the nose cone, approx 15 mm away. You should feel a positive air pressure on your hand, not too much not too little.
• To adjust the air supply you will need to adjust the screw at the end of the black pipe on the nose cone. To do this you will need to remove the 2” red lens cover to enable you to get the little socket driver on the end of the screw. This can be a little tight to get on. Once you have removed the pipe and nose cone adjust the screw counterclockwise (more air) half a turn to increase air supply. You will need to tighten the little locking ring up to stop the screw from vibrating closed or open. (use a pair of long nose pliers and normal pliers to tighten.) Fasten it all back in place then re fit the 2” lens plate.
• Check the air supply again and re adjust if required.
• Keep the window and mirror and lens clean. Start off at the back top left hand corner of the laser. You will see a little glass window (round) this is where the laser beam enters) make sure it looks clean. Now check the RED anodized mirror on the left hand side of the carriage. You will be able to hold the little handle sticking out, pull the mirror out and look for specs or fog on the mirror. Clean with the supplied solution and paper only if needed.
• The mirror is held in by a magnet so just pop it back in when finished.
• Check the 2” lens and mirror, again only clean if it’s required.
• The nose cone should be kept clean as well. The end can become a little crusted up over time.
• Always remember to turn on the extraction system before cutting/engraving. Run the lasercam CD supplied and select install extract alarms. Every time you now click on the green button to cut/engrave a job you will get a warning on the screen to switch on the extraction system.