VersaLaser will not start up?

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

clearcaseman

VersaLaser will not start up?

Post by clearcaseman » Mon 10 Nov , 2008 13:45 pm

I have a VL-200 and was using it on Sat to do engraving. I had been using it for about 2 hrs. when I shut down for lunch an dcame back it would not work anymore. I ddidnt have any power outages or anything like that so I am at a loss. right now here is how it sits.

when I plug it up to one of my laptops it shows back up in the device manager with no problems.

when I go to the versalaser software to power up the laser. the bargraph that shows the table going down comes up and looks like it is working. but only the yellow and red lights blink at the bottom of the screen. I am using the v1.28.5 drivers on a vista laptop and a xp pro laptop. I have checked the fuses. what else could it be? I pulled my desktop out and took it to the shop and when I plug it up it goes thru the plug and play to set it up. but when I try to actually start the laser u it just wont do it.

Thanks for any help you can lend.
CCM

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Mon 10 Nov , 2008 22:03 pm

Have you checked that you are getting the power to the machine?

The CPU obtains it`s power through the USB lead but the drives,fans & tube power up via the 240 volts mains.

There is a drawer with two fuses in directly below where the kettle plug is connected. If both fuses are OK & there is power to the machine then it may be that the 48volt power supply is dead inside the machine.

clearcaseman

Re: VersaLaser will not start up?

Post by clearcaseman » Mon 10 Nov , 2008 22:41 pm

clearcaseman wrote:I have a VL-200 and was using it on Sat to do engraving. I had been using it for about 2 hrs. when I shut down for lunch an dcame back it would not work anymore. I ddidnt have any power outages or anything like that so I am at a loss. right now here is how it sits.

when I plug it up to one of my laptops it shows back up in the device manager with no problems.

when I go to the versalaser software to power up the laser. the bargraph that shows the table going down comes up and looks like it is working. but only the yellow and red lights blink at the bottom of the screen. I am using the v1.28.5 drivers on a vista laptop and a xp pro laptop. I have checked the fuses. what else could it be? I pulled my desktop out and took it to the shop and when I plug it up it goes thru the plug and play to set it up. but when I try to actually start the laser u it just wont do it.

Thanks for any help you can lend.
CCM

Yep did that and verified power into the machine.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Tue 11 Nov , 2008 21:54 pm

It`s looking like the 48volt PSU may be faulty.

1. Remove the back cover.
2. Remove the laser cartridge.
3. Remove the cover plate situated below where the cartridge was sat.
4. Check the 48 volt DC power supply unit.

clearcaseman

Post by clearcaseman » Wed 12 Nov , 2008 4:52 am

yea it is looking that way. is there somewhere the psu can be sent for repair? I can purchase a new psu for about 400.00

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 12 Nov , 2008 16:03 pm

We get the 48 volt power supply unit (XPiQ SMQ500PS48-CI) directly from ULS.

It is only slightly cheaper than your price.