Cutting Depron foam

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

RadioGareth

Cutting Depron foam

Post by RadioGareth » Sat 05 Jan , 2008 12:35 pm

Anyone tried cutting depron Polystyrene closed cell foam and if yes, what settings please???

We use 3, 5 & 6 mm thick. It's like kapaboard but without the paper top and bottom.

Thanks

Gareth

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Feed and Speed settings for new materials

Post by Steve » Mon 07 Jan , 2008 9:17 am

Hi,

Not sure what the material is but the general rule would be to run the spindle flat out, then turn the feed pot up to maximum and the feed override pot right down. Now in manual Jog mode take some sample cuts, turn the feed over ride knob up as you do so until you get a good finish. At this point the actual feed you are running at will be displayed in the jog window.

You now have the feed and speed info you need.

In general if the material is melting when you are cutting it you need to turn the spindle speed down or the feedrate must increase as the melting is caused by friction as the tool rubs the material.

Normally with a router the spindle can be run at full speed for all materials.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 07 Jan , 2008 11:25 am

I think this is a question about Laser settings ?

I have tried cutting foam seals in the past, but its messy, smelly and will dust/smoke up the lense in no time (be sure to keep the reflectors clean otherwise they overheat and crack)

Can't remember what settings I chose, but I'd experiment with something low powered to start with like card...

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 07 Jan , 2008 13:26 pm

As usual I have not looked at the Forum Index correctly :oops:

Polystyreen is difficult to cut as it never seems to cut with a straight edge but disolves away the further below the surface you go.

Up to 6mm you may be OK.

I would start with the Paper or Card settings and then use the vector cutting slider and get the best effect.

Mark Porter

Post by Mark Porter » Fri 23 Jan , 2009 9:57 am

Has anyone here tried this yet?
VersaLASER VLS 2.30 30W
Step-Four Basic 540 XpertMILL

Mark Porter

Post by Mark Porter » Sat 24 Jan , 2009 8:18 am

I tried 2.8mm Depron on the "Matboard" setting and it worked fine. My 2" square testpiece came out at 1.965", so I get a 0.035" kerf, the same as these guys http://www.depronlasercutting.com/cadfile.htm.
VersaLASER VLS 2.30 30W
Step-Four Basic 540 XpertMILL