Problems with small areas not engraved, Rubber?

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Stempelfabrikken

Problems with small areas not engraved, Rubber?

Post by Stempelfabrikken » Wed 28 Nov , 2007 13:20 pm

Hello..

I have a VLS 2.30, with 30watt. It's brand new and worked perfectly in the beginning. Now after 2 weeks its beginning to make small non-engraved dots on our engraving.

We are a rubber stamp production company, and cut almost all the time in rubber. Our laser is now beginning to make small dots non-engraved in the engraved area.

We use the back-sweep and always clean our machine firmly on all three mirrors. Rubber generates a lot of dust.

The small non-engraved areas are about 0,5mm (0,2 inch) in width and round. The are much more frequent the further right the laser, than on the left... Even if we make a smaller engraved area, the dots are there on the right side of our engraving.

We have tryed to isolate the power for the machine, so no other devices use the same out take, but that didn't change anything.

Does anyone know how to solve this, it is actually ruining our business right now. The weird thing is, that it worked in the beginning.

Best regards
Mads

Stempelfabrikken

Post by Stempelfabrikken » Wed 28 Nov , 2007 18:17 pm

Have a feeling it could be the back sweep... the numbers of dots changes with the position of the back sweep, but never entirely...

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Thu 29 Nov , 2007 7:08 am

I will forward this thread to ULS in Austria for their comments

ULS Service

Stempelfabrikken - issue

Post by ULS Service » Fri 30 Nov , 2007 9:17 am

Hello,

Please forward me an image of the engraved part and also your serial number via email and we will take care of it in our ULS office.

Please send the infor to support@uls.at

Thanks.

Bernhard
best regards
Bernhard

Stempelfabrikken

Post by Stempelfabrikken » Mon 03 Dec , 2007 11:51 am

Hello Again

After contact to our danish distributor and a very fine support from their side, we managed to solve the problem.

It was not the laser that was broke
It was not the fan that was to weak
It was not to much dust i the chamber
It was not the material we used

It was because of the VLS 2.30's issues with the Z-axis. After several uses of "Home Z" it suddenly hit the correct position, which was about 3mm lower than the setting i have been using.

This solved the problem, and the quality of our stamps is much better. Actually we were a bit disappointed with the quality before, which of course was due to the bad focus.

Now everything runs smooth. A big thank you to our danish dealer, and to ULS for making a quality product, we ease of use, but a Home Z feature that needs a little tweak.

Regards Mads