Ideal value for tuning

Help, advise and examples created by the Universal Laser Systems (ULS) VersaLaser laser cutting / marking machine supplied by Denford

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

sanju

Ideal value for tuning

Post by sanju » Sat 28 Jul , 2007 10:04 am

I am using the tuning feature of my VL300 50watt machine. The tuning ranges from -10 to +10. Ideally it should be at 0 (zero). Currently, my setting is at +10. At zero, the engraving is not sharp (a mirror image is formed).

What i would like to know is what should i do so that i use the setting of zero.

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 28 Jul , 2007 12:34 pm

The tuning is normally set to a value between 6 to 10. To test you have to raster (black) engrave vertical lines with different values set & pick the setting for the best result.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Mon 30 Jul , 2007 10:26 am

The tuning value is used to take out backlash in the movement of the optics.

The laser fires in both directions while raster engraving and any backlash in the system can be seen. The tuning value should be somwhere between 0 and 10.

When a laser is supplied it will have been set so the backlash has been removed and the laser fires in the same position whether aproaching from the left or the right.

After a period of use more backlash due to wear could cause the edges of lines to become less sharp in which case the tuning value needs to be changed.

No system will have zero backlash so the value will always be somewhere in the middle.

ULS Service

Tuning - Setting

Post by ULS Service » Mon 30 Jul , 2007 10:37 am

Please see attached document for the differnence between bad and good tuning!

regards
Bernhard
Attachments
tuning.pdf
(129.88 KiB) Downloaded 788 times
best regards
Bernhard