All info relating to the Denford Triac series of CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

alextaylor23
Hardware/Software: MicroMill
FANUCSMD

Occasional Weird spindle noise [video]

Post by alextaylor23 » Mon 17 Jul , 2017 2:10 am

Hi all,

I am somewhat new here with my triac and everything seems to be going well except occasionally the spindle makes some weird noises. I uploaded a video to YouTube the first half is the noise which happens occasionally (maybe for 5 mins every hour) and the second half is how it sounds the rest of the time... Nice and quiet. Anybody have any ideas?

https://youtu.be/xWIP7te0KVc

Thanks!

Alex

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Occasional Weird spindle noise [video]

Post by TDIPower » Mon 17 Jul , 2017 21:22 pm

Hi, not sure but to me that sounds like a shaft spinning in a bearing. so the bearing is slowing down then spinning up. Would be worth taking the top cover off and having a look.

Pete

alextaylor23
FANUCSMD

Post by alextaylor23 » Mon 17 Jul , 2017 22:05 pm

So that was my initial thought also. I have taken off the cover and it is a pretty simple setup. From what I can see there are only bearings for the spindle, which feel tight with my hands, but that doesn't mean that still couldn't be going bad?

oblio1612
Hardware/Software: denford triac atc

Post by oblio1612 » Wed 20 Jun , 2018 21:07 pm

hey not sure if its the same as mine but worth a look. if you take off the cover on the spindle housing on top of the motor were the tach-o is there was a little plastic cover over the shaft , presumably to keep dust out. mine keeps falling in and making a similar noise. sounds like a bearing gone bad. Had a moment my self thinking it had but it was just the plastic spinning in the hole. Might be the same hope it is.... good luck..

alextaylor23
FANUCSMD

Post by alextaylor23 » Wed 16 Jan , 2019 23:30 pm

Thanks i will give it a look!

Ridgeback
Hardware/Software: Denford Triac with original hardware/software
Denford Orac recently updated with Mac3

Post by Ridgeback » Sat 14 Dec , 2019 17:15 pm

Hi,

Just browsing through old posts and came upon yours.

I had to laugh to myself as I have had something very similar happen to me just recently. No it wasn't on my mill, but on my "scooter", a 300 cc Japanese model. Riding down the road, it sounded like a banshee and I panicked like hell. After much investigation it turned out much the same as has been described by your previous helper. It was the speedo drive gear retainer and not the front wheel bearing as I had feared. Mine too was simply a plastic retainer/housing which had dried out in time/use and resulted in the inner and outer surfaces of said plastic rotating at different speeds. Once an osculation gets going between inner and outer surfaces it creates an awful din. Either super glue the outer surface to the outer fixed body and lube the inner faces, or, as I did, I lubed BOTH inner and outer faces as this was easiest for me. I know what it is now and if the graphite grease fails me in the future, no worries as I have the solution.

Go and make some swarf.

Colin.