Starturn 5 and Starmill with TQ MA2000

All info relating to the Denford StarTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Gokce
Hardware/Software: Starturn Mill and Starturn5

Starturn 5 and Starmill with TQ MA2000

Post by Gokce » Wed 23 Jul , 2014 11:18 am

I'm an assistant in Eskisehir Osmangazi University, Turkey. In our department there is a teaching setup with Starturn, Starmill and a TQ MA2000 robotic arm between them. The PC's are dead but I hope CNC devices are in working condition. As a summer project I'd like to utilize it. Do you have any idea where I should start? Will just plugging RS232 port to a new PC work? Below are system photos.

Thanks
Gokce

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Re: Starturn 5 and Starmill with TQ MA2000

Post by TDIPower » Wed 23 Jul , 2014 23:12 pm

I have worked with both the starturn and starmill but not the Arm (so I can only offer help on the mill and arm). Looks like an interesting setup.

Provided you have the software to run the machines then yes you should just be able to replace the PCs and get them running.

If the software was put onto the PC Hard disk you may be able to take the hard disk out and put in a replacement PC and copy the files over (of get one of those cases to put the drive in off ebay and copy off it via USB)

From my experience you are best running the machines in true DOS (as the machines were DOS based). I Started with an XP machine running the programs in a DOS window but it would hang on occasion. I now run through DOSbox which is much better.

If you go to denfords main site there is a link to software, then older stuff so you should be able to get the software to run them.

On the software front there should be a program to run the mill and another to run the lathe. These take the 'G Code' file and use it to control the machine.
You will need a design program for the Job and then a Post processor. The design program is what you do your drawing on, the post processor takes your drawing and after you have set what cutters you have and material type will convert the drawing into the 'G Code' for the machine.

You could do with opening the big black boxes that the Mill and Lathe are attached to, post some pics up of the control boards as this will help to work out which software you can run.

Hope that helps for now.

Pete

Gokce
Hardware/Software: Starturn Mill and Starturn5

Post by Gokce » Tue 05 Aug , 2014 13:41 pm

Hi Pete,
Thank you for your rapid response. I couldn't get back with photos because it was holiday here. I've got photos of black boxes. Could you take a look at them?

Lathe

Mill

TDIPower
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: Starturn 5 (sort of running, I will get this done!)
Lathe cam designer V1.11
Quickturn 2D Design
FANUC offline and online programs.
Microrouter Pro NS V5 (microstep)
VR2 and VR5
Boxford VMC260
Techsoft 2d Design tools V1 > V2
ProDesktop
Fusion 360
Deskproto

Post by TDIPower » Mon 11 Aug , 2014 11:11 am

Hi, just back from holiday myself.

The lathe has the same control board as mine. The mill I cant see the control board but I presume given the set up will have been all put in at the same time.

When you say the PC's are dead in what respect? The easiest way for you to get this up and running again would be to get those working as they will have the software on them (unless you still have the discs, I presume they would be 3.5" floppy from looking at the PC's). You don't need a hi spec machine to run your set up.
If the hard discs are still working you should be able to plug them into a replacement PC and pull the files off.
If you have a newer PC, it really need to have onboard RS232 Com ports as the USB to RS232 can cause problems. If you run through the following you should be able to get started. I found that the DOS window in XP worked but could be unstable so ended up setting up DOSbox. But the XP DOS window should be fine to get you going.

Go here http://website.denford.ltd.uk/support/9 ... s-software

down load these zip files
DRIVERS.zip
DRIVERS2.zip
FanucSLD.zip
FanucSMD.zip

FanucSLD is the Lathe control
FanucSMD is the mill control

The 2 driver zips are the drivers for those programs (one folder contains some files the other doesn't).

We will focus on the Lathe first (it should be the same to get the mill working) Im am presuming the PC will be running windows XP.

Unzip the FanucSLD into a folder c:\denford\FanucSLD
Unzip the Drivers into a Folder c:\denford\drivers
unzip the Drivers2 into a Folder c:\denford\drivers2

now create 2 folders c:\denford\FanucSLD1 and c:\denford\FanucSLD2

Copy the files from FanucSLD and drivers into the FanucSLD1
Copy the files from FanucSLD and drivers2 into the FanucSLD2

This is because I cant remember which set of drivers I used in the end for mine so you will be able to try both setups.

Now within the FanucSLD1 folder is a file FanucSLD.GO or under the 'type' list in explorer is a GO File. This may need some editing (use notepad).
first make a copy of the original GO file (copy then rename as FanucSLD1.GO) then open FanucSLD in notepad

you will see something like this

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE
DENFORD1.KBD 1
18.2 $3F8 4
VGA.CRT 0
FANUCSLD.APP

I am making a presumption you have a bit of knowledge setting up PC's and RS232 ports let me know if you don't.

IBM.RS2 1
$2F8 3 MACHINE This sets the RS232 Port for the Lathe to be com port to be Com 2
DENFORD1.KBD 1 This sets the input control to be the later denford tutor keyboard
18.2 $3F8 4 This set the Denford tutor keyboard to be on Com 1
VGA.CRT 0
FANUCSLD.APP

Now if you don't have the Denford keyboard this will need to be changed to use the standard computer keyboard for control.
This is done by replacing the Line DENFORD1.KBD 1 with XXXXXXXXX I need to double check which name you put here. Ill post later.
If the PC only have 1 RS232 port you need to swap the $2F8 3 for $3F8 4 (check the settings for the RS232 port on the computer in device manager)

Hook up the machine to the PC, I use explorer to gain access to my files until I have it all set up so it is easier to alter bits.

go to c:\denford\FanucSLD1 and run the FANUCSLD application. this should bring up a nice DOS window and let you control the machine.

you will need to do the above to the FanucSLD2 as well to try that.

Pete