All info relating to the Denford StarTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Starturn Software Help Needed

Post by paragon » Tue 20 Nov , 2007 22:30 pm

Hello All,

I have just purchased a Starturn turn which has an inspection report carried out by a Mr Jenkins dated on the 18-6-93.

It has an auto tool changer and floppy disks on both 5.25 and 3.5 formats.

The Software I have is as follows :-

3.5 disks ...

Lathe Cam Designer v1.0
Lathe Cam Designer v1.3
Lathe Cam Designer v1.3 for dos + drivers / post processor (not sure if same as above)
Starturn v2.12 (Date 10-97)
Starturn PC v2.12 (fanuc) (not sure if the same as above)
Starturn v2.20
Post Processor Lib (dated 10-97)

the 5.25 disks are no good to me as I no longet have one of these drives ... nostalgia :-)

I have installed windows 98 into vmware and have attempted to instal and execute the software.

I am prompted for a dongle which I do not have what can I do to get this lathe runing?
The lathe was originaly located at Aylesford School (thats what the box and old warranty show)

Look forward to your replies as very keen to play with my new toy :-)

Regards
Steve

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Tue 20 Nov , 2007 23:57 pm

I forgot to mention it come with the desktop tutor and original Denfor / Fanuc manual. (I will try and get this scanned and sent to admin if your interested)

After reading some of the starturn related posts I am wondering that the reason it asks for a dongle is due to he fact that I currently do not have the Starturn connected to the PC as I only receved it yesterday and it's living in the workshop at the moment.

Could some please tell me what version of Starturn I have from the following description?

On the case of the lathe it only has an emergency stop button.
It has a six post toolchanger.
I think it was made around 1992 -93 or there abouts or at least thats what the scematic diagrams are dated as and these where drawn by a Mr McHenry.

I just noticed that the Maintanance manual mentions Starturn P.C. but the only P.C version I have seen the bed is slanted on an angle with no visibale sign of a tailstock.

This Starturn is flat ie not slanted / mounted at an angle and has a 1MT tailstock.

Thanks
Steve

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Wed 21 Nov , 2007 0:04 am

It looks very similiar / identical to this picture ....
Attachments
Denford_StarTurn.gif
Denford_StarTurn.gif (30.15 KiB) Viewed 11375 times

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Wed 21 Nov , 2007 0:10 am

Oh I forgot to mention it has a seperate controller box that is around 2' wide by 3' high from memory.

Would the VR software work on this lathe?

Thanks once again,

Steve

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Wed 21 Nov , 2007 0:27 am

I just had another look at the Fanuc section in the manual and it mentions Fanuc OT ?

Page 6 of the Denford Catalogue that has information regarding the VR CNC Turning software mentions that it supports Fanuc OT so does this mean I should be able to use VR?

If so how much does the software cost?

TIA
Steve

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Tue 27 Nov , 2007 17:35 pm

I'm pretty sure you won't be able to use VR Turning, unless the control card is made by Baldor ?

I don't know the exact history of the Starturn, but looks like it could be an early Novaturn.

Find out if its a Baldor or not

If its not, then lookup davidimurray on here - he has converted an old starturn to run on low cost (modern) PC software

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Tue 27 Nov , 2007 22:01 pm

Thanks for you reply...

It appears that the Starturn is the gsm LCB3 so it probably won't work.
Hopefully I can get by with Lathe Cam Designer running under Vmware and Win98.

Cheers Again.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Wed 28 Nov , 2007 7:19 am

The GSM LCB3 will not run VR Turning

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 28 Nov , 2007 7:59 am

The old DOS software (which you must use with this machine) is unlikely to run in VMWare as it makes direct access to the UART serial chips in the PC (not 100% sure, but unlikely!)

You are better off tring to get hold of an old machine running win98 or DOS with a couple of 'IBM Compatible' serial port (either on the motherboard or an ISA card - not one on a PCI card). One for the machine link, one for the Desk Top Tutor Link.

The machine control software will report 'Initialising Machine' or similar when run - and hang if it can't find the machine (on COM1). It has no dongle protection.

The other pieces of software are for offline programming and ARE dongle protected - but not needed to run the machine itself.

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Wed 28 Nov , 2007 12:23 pm

I have purchased a couple of USB to Serial converters that I was hoping to use but I think these use somthing like COM5 or higher (need to check this).

I do have an old Pentium Pro 200 that I could employ if the Vmware route fails.

It would be nice to keep it on one machine concidering I have a Starmill that I have converted to run under RT-Linux and EMC2 which uses a Pluto-P board connected to the para port to increase step / dir which can sustain pulse rate for around around 24,000 microsteps at 300 Khz.

I am hoping to run a Vmware server under linux with Win98 for the Denford DOS programs.

I could consider converting the lathe to EMC2 but as the Starturn has an ATC it may prove more complex. (??)

Alternativly what sort of cost could I expect to convert to the Baldor controller?

Thanks
Steve

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Wed 28 Nov , 2007 21:05 pm

As an alternaitive to VMWare you could try "DosBox".

Uses less memory & is speficifally deisgned to emulate old IBM hardware and DOS environment.

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Wed 28 Nov , 2007 23:00 pm

I've seen a few folks on here mention dosbox I used it in the past to run the Starmill, It could be an option would Lathe Cam Designer work with Dosbox as I thought it was a windows app?

BTW Are you the chap who worked for Denford then moved to Aus?
You used to program in Pascal and had a hand in writing the Starmill software?

If so we discussed the Starmill sometime ago via email and you sent me some dos software for it.

I've finaly lifted the lathe on the bench took some effert on my own and plugged in the controller box which I'm glad to say powered up well I could here the fan anyway.

Steve

Mr Magoo
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Mr Magoo » Sun 02 Dec , 2007 4:29 am

Yes I'm the Ex-Denford - now Brisbane guy :!: Still into s/ware dev but now do it in shorts and t-shirt :lol:

You're right about the Lathe Cam s/ware - it's a 16 but windows app. It sounds like all your other stuff is DOS.

Sounds like you're doing OK at getting things up and running.
In theory DOSBox can redirect an emulated COM1 to a USB or PCI COM6 for example but I've never tried it. have a read on how to redirect COM ports in the DOSBox CFG file

Cheers

paragon
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by paragon » Wed 05 Dec , 2007 13:59 pm

I have managed to get the starturn running under dos (win98) after converting (25 way <> 25 way) rs232 to (25 way <> 19 way) for both the lathe and desktop tutor.

Oddly enough I can only get the v1.0 starturn to work correctly.
The later version available for download from this site complains with 128 error. I think pertains to it not seeing the machine.

The other problem I have now is that the Lathe Cam Designer Software I have does not have a dongle so I cannot execute this :-( (Please see software list in firts post)

I am trying to use Mastercam X and have downloaded the denford posts for it but have not verified if the g-code output is correct as yet.

I have contacted the school from were this lathe came from in the hope they may have a dongle but they have not come back to me as yet. (fingers crossed)

Does anyone have a dongle for Lathe Cam Designer that will match the version I have listed in my first post? If so please let me know and hopefully we can come to some arrangment :-)

Regards
Steve