Starmill PC Upgrade Advice and Help

All info relating to the Denford Starmill CNC milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

LucDav

Starmill PC Upgrade Advice and Help

Post by LucDav » Thu 05 Oct , 2017 23:44 pm

I have just embarked on my first CNC conversion. I have bought a starmill PC 1994. All seems to be in order and the machine looks to have done little work.

I happened to already have a USB Breakout board and steppers and driver boards for a project that never happened. The steppers I have are physically bigger than those on X and Y with the same PCD on the holes. Any advice on keeping the originals or upgrading. I'll update with the new stepper info when I get to it.

I have also been looking at the Baldor spindle motor .16kW seems very small to me does it do the job or should I be looking for an upgrade?

Any info or advice would be great

rasp
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Re: Starmill PC Upgrade Advice and Help

Post by rasp » Tue 04 Sep , 2018 0:48 am

Be very careful replacing the X axis motor as it gets within about 10mm of the cabinet so a longer motor will hit it or you can set the soft limits of Mach3 or what ever you are converting to to reduce the travel.

The spindle will be a standard R8 type.

LucDav

Re: Starmill PC Upgrade Advice and Help

Post by LucDav » Tue 25 Sep , 2018 13:51 pm

I have been slowly plugging away at the machine. I have opted for a whole different concept. I have used and ODrive robotics card to control brushless servos on the X and Y and will likely update the Z to run the same. I have another DC spindle motor capable of 1.2kW in the same footprint which should give me 5k rpm spindle speeds and i am thinking of changing the pulley to allow for 6k.
To get over the side movement i am cutting part of the original casing to allow for the extra length on the x and will weld in a cover.

I am now looking at where to get an INT 30 spindle to fit a pneumatic tool release. I did investigate the tormach tool system but the pressure needed on the collet seems to be far too much for the spindle.

Any advice or suggestions would be great. And any info on where to get a spindle from.