2600 Pro keeps stopping!

All info relating to the Denford Router 2600 and Pro CNC routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

richgirling

2600 Pro keeps stopping!

Post by richgirling » Mon 28 Jan , 2013 12:39 pm

The router has been playing up for some time with various incarnations of a similar problem.
When I go to run a program on the router the spindle will start and the head will move over to start cutting, sometime the machine will rapid down towards the job and then the side machine control window on the PC will just disappear. The spindle will continue to run but the PC and router have lost communication. Once this happens I cannot close the VR milling software and have to use the task manager to "End Task" and then it generates an error report which I send. Other times the router will run and some way through the program it will generate a "Device Cal has Failed" error message, sometimes the machine will continued to run and finish the program even though this error message is displayed and sometimes it will just stop!

I have updated the VR Milling software to the latest version, reinstalled it several times, checked everything using your Easy Upgrader software and still this problem persist. The machine is currently un usable!

Please Help!

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: 2600 Pro keeps stopping!

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 30 Jan , 2013 10:32 am

Can you post a photo of the inside of the electrical cabinet ?
I think this is related to electrical noise when the spindle starts up.
Do you have a floating head attachment? Does that cause similar issues when that's being used ?

If you can take the M03 spindle start commands out of the program and try dry-running again it will prove there is an issue with the Spindle motor or Drive if programs run normally without the spindle running.

richgirling

Post by richgirling » Thu 31 Jan , 2013 11:39 am

Hi. Thanks for quick reply.

Please find attached a photo of the electrical cabinet as requested.

No we do not have a floating head fitted to our machine.

I successfully did a dry run of a program with the M03 code taken out yesterday.
This morning I turned on and homed the machine and did some rapid jog moves ok, I then manually started the spindle and the "Device Cal has failed" error appeared. I think your assessment of noise could be correct.
How can we fix this please?

Cheers
Rich.
Attachments
NSSC pictures 44462 CB.JPG
NSSC pictures 44462 CB.JPG (277.34 KiB) Viewed 10539 times

richgirling

Post by richgirling » Thu 31 Jan , 2013 13:16 pm

Correction - The error message that is actualy displayed reads "The Device Driver Call Failed" if this helps. There is no error code number generated.

Cheers
Rich.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Thu 31 Jan , 2013 15:06 pm

Hi,

As Admin suggests the PC is loosing communication and this is most likely caused by electrical noise when the spindle starts.

There are a few things that could help with this.

Is the machine plugged directly to a wall socket? if not try doing this, any extensions could cause a volt drop when the spindle starts.

Is the computer located close to the machine and using the standard USB cable?

The USB cable should not be longer than 2M and must not be wrapped around the mains lead or other cables.

Internal to the machine you can see the USB cable connected to the bottom left of the controller card. Could you unplug this and try connecting directly from the Computer to the controller and see if this improves things.

The USB cable inside the cabinet is running inside the trunking, if you remove the lid you could remove the cable and run it along the bottom of the cabinet as far away from the yellow spindle drive as possible. This may help.

richgirling

Post by richgirling » Fri 05 Apr , 2013 12:57 pm

Hi.

I took your advice and removed the USB connectors located on the side of the machine out of the equation, the USB cables now go directly from the PC into the internal USB connectors inside the machine.
Since I have done this the machine has worked without problems.
The only drawback is that I now have two holes in the side of the machine where the USB cables run through; I'll laser cut some acrylic disks with a hole in the middle for the cable to blank them off.

I'm not by the machine at the moment so have included a stock photo of the USB bulk head connectors that I have removed just in case you don't understand what I have done.
Thanks for your help.
Rich.
Attachments
USB to USB Bulk Head Conector.jpg
USB to USB Bulk Head Conector.jpg (19.01 KiB) Viewed 10476 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 05 Apr , 2013 13:06 pm

Thanks for the update.
I remember the earlier USB bulkhead adaptors breaking in the middle...
The more connectors and adaptors you go through, the less reliable it's going to be. So I think you're best sticking with your current fix and blanking the holes off.