Laser scanning question

All info relating to the Denford Router 2600 and Pro CNC routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

richgirling

Laser scanning question

Post by richgirling » Thu 17 Jun , 2010 13:02 pm

Hello all.

First post on the forum so be gentle with me!!

For one of our student’s projects he wants to redesign the body of his model remote controlled helicopter.

I am trying to take a laser scan of the existing body so he can run it through Solid Works flow simulation analysis and compare lift, drag ect. with his own design. The plastic body is very shinny and the laser will just reflect off this surface.
Normally I would spray the model to be scanned with matt grey primer but I can’t to do this as we will not be able to remove the paint once finished.

I have had some success lightly spraying the plastic model with multi surface cleaner and then dusting the model with flour to give a matt finish (see attached photo and screen dump). Obviously this just washes off after the scan with some water. I have tried a sugar and water solution but this did not work as well.

Has anybody got any suggestions for an alternative way round the above problem?
Any help or feedback would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Rich.
Attachments
Chopper_body.JPG
Chopper_body.JPG (102.81 KiB) Viewed 4022 times
DSC00707.JPG
DSC00707.JPG (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4022 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Laser scanning question

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 17 Jun , 2010 13:43 pm

I managed to have some success with white face paint (ie grease paint) that I got from the local card shop.
It goes on much like paint, but can be wiped off afterwards.

Grey might work even better ?...
http://www.fancydressdirect.co.uk/Face- ... -Grey.html

Let us know how it goes.