Router 2600 Pro - Z-axis problem

All info relating to the Denford Router 2600 and Pro CNC routers

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

SCloake

Router 2600 Pro - Z-axis problem

Post by SCloake » Mon 16 Nov , 2009 12:12 pm

Our Router 2600 Pro has developed a problem. While cutting a part the machine completely stopped half way through the job, both axis movement and bit rotation, but the software continued to run the cutting program.
Aborting the software and resetting it failed to cure the problem and the machine now will not home on any of the axis. The Invertek Optidrive unit displays a STOP message that cannot be cleared and there is a small red/orange LED flashing in the centre of the Baldor board.

On closer examination it would appear that the X-axis drive is the cause of the problem, my suspicion being that the X-axis brake unit (above the stepper motor) has jammed on and stays jammed on even when all the power is switched off.

My questions are these: Is there a way of freeing it or does it need replacing as a unit? Can I do the work myself?

Machine details:
Router 2600 Pro
Serial number: HO 0706
Electrics serial number: U0806170018
DoM; August 2008.
USB link to computer.
7 segment display colour is Orange.
Baldor board connection blocks are Black.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Router 2600 Pro - X-axis problem

Post by bradders » Mon 16 Nov , 2009 12:20 pm

Hi There,

There should be a 7 segment display on the Baldor board, is this illuminated ? if yes what is the letter / number / colour ?
If it is not illuminated, with the mains power disconnected to the machine, check the fuses, the fuses have different ratings so check them and replace, dont take them all out at once or you will get them mixed up

SCloake

Post by SCloake » Mon 16 Nov , 2009 15:06 pm

First of all please let me apologise for my apparent spacial dyslexia. It's not an X axis problem but a Z axis (vertical travel) problem. It's a Monday and i'm a muppet, duh! :delirious:

OK, i've checked all the fuses i can see (1x on the Baldor board and 5x on the other board) just to be sure and they are all present and unblown. Have removed each one in turn and checked the wire is present.

With just the router power ON the segment display shows an Orange horizontal bar. I have then connected the computer, started the VR5 application as if to start machining a part and opened the machine link. Horizontal bar then changes to Orange 8.

bradders
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by bradders » Mon 16 Nov , 2009 15:28 pm

Its funny that both the Spindle and axes stopped at the same time, can you confirm this? this might suggest that the 24v DC was missing, either a fuse has blown or the rectfied has blown, but you say that the 7 segment display is illuminated with and "8" (Which is OK) so this would suggest the 24v DC is OK.
To get the brake to release, 24v DC goes via 2 seperate contacts in series, one contact is closed when the emergecy stop relay is activated at power on and the second contact is activated via and output from the control board.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Router 2600 Pro - Z-axis problem

Post by Steve » Mon 16 Nov , 2009 20:20 pm

Hi,

The fact that bothe the axes and spindle stopped together would indicate to me that the machine control has shutdown. Did any message flash up on screen at the time?

The Z brake will not be the problem here as even if it failed to release it would have no effect on the spindle.

Can you reconnect to the machine and in jog mode try and start the spindle. Let us know what happens.

There are only a few things that could stop the spindle and the axes. The guard switch, the E-Stop or the enable signal.

The 24V supply could cause this but there would be a message on the computer Motion controller driver call failed or somthing like this. If you saw this message it could be the regulator chip on the Baldor card overheating and shutting down. If this is the case once you shut everthing down and restart it will work again for a time.

Lets try working on one thing at a time and get the spindle running.

SCloake

Re: Router 2600 Pro - Z-axis problem

Post by SCloake » Thu 19 Nov , 2009 13:04 pm

Problem located and solved.
It turned out to be fuse No 2 (6.3A) on the lower board. Although it passed a previous continuity test in situ it failed a second test when removed. Fuse wire was still intact but had in fact detached from one of the end caps inside. I suspect that it was making contact inside just enough to fool my meter but not enough to work under real load when the machine was running.
I have now replaced the offending fuse with a new item and machine works as it should.

Thanks for your help.