ORAC +Gecko

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

kato

ORAC +Gecko

Post by kato » Tue 02 Jan , 2007 7:38 am

Hi, Ive decided to use Geckodrives "G210" for my ORAC.
But is there anyone who can tell me you're setup? The settings for the microstep? All info are appreciated.
One more thing I need to know is the connections on the turret. On drawing "S2124" there is 5 cables but is this right? thought there where one 5v input to "activate" the turret?

/Jim
Sweden

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Thu 04 Jan , 2007 10:52 am

Hi Jim

Alastair Clarke who can sometimes be found on here is currently converting his Orac to Gecko's so he might be able to help. What info are you after? I would have thought that 1/2 steeping would be best as this is normally recognised as giving the best torque delivery.

The turret is a bit more complicated. There are three opto-sensors in there, so there will be a wire for each sensor. There should then be a +12v and 0V, then there should be +24V and 0V for the motor. So there should be at least 7 connections. I can't remember how many connections there are on the plug - will have a look later.

Cheers

Dave

kato

Post by kato » Sat 06 Jan , 2007 18:49 pm

Hi,
I think the plug has 8 pins. If I only could find the electrical schematic PC1965 maybe I could figure it out with the colours on the cables.

The resistors I bought for my geckos are 0,6w is this OK?
And about the step motors I e-mailed Cetronic and got this answer:

Parallel connection mode as follows:
A+ White/Orange with Black
A- White/Black with Orange
B- White/Yellow with Red
B+ White/Red with Yellow

But which should I connect to Phase A, B and so on?

Do you know how much of the old electronics Alastair Clarke keeping?

Regards
Jim

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Steve » Sun 07 Jan , 2007 0:19 am

Stepper motors are very simple. there are 4 phases to the motor.

You can either wire the in series or parallel.

The setting you have shown is the parrallel connection. This will allow the motor to be driven with a higher current (1.414 x the motor phase current rating)

The drive will have two phase outputs (phase A and B) It does not matter how you connect the motor to the drive as long as the pairs are connected to the correct phase. The orange and black being one phase red and yellow the other.

If the motor then runs in the wrong direction all you have to do is switch the wires of one of the phases (ie the orang and black) then the motor will drive the other way.

All MAE motors are wired with the same color leads as standard.

Denford now purchase the motors with the wires internally paired up as series or parallel and they only have 4 leads. They still use ORG / BLK as one phase and RED / YEL as the other.

Hope this helps.

kato

Post by kato » Fri 12 Jan , 2007 20:39 pm

Thanks for all help

/Jim