Orac X and Z axis Drive errors

All info relating to the Denford ORAC CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

the_mechanic

Orac X and Z axis Drive errors

Post by the_mechanic » Sat 11 Nov , 2006 13:51 pm

Hi,

I own an ORAC tds/o/r manufactured in 1984, and I have problems with both the Z and X axis movements.
The computer seems to be working fine, as I am able to enter code and all inputs are correctly displayed on screen. However when it comes to X and Z axis actual movements, the screen displays changing co-ordinates of X and Z ( as if the controller is sending the signals) however none of the drives are working.
On opening the front panel, I noted the one driver card has a red LED switched on, while the other card has no LEDs on at all.

I followed the thread named "Orac X-axis troubles" where it is mentioned that the red led's are error signals.
Probably I have some fault on the cards - can anyone help me out interpret the errors being signalled by these LED please?

One of the steppers - X -is energised as soon as I switch on the lathe (ie it cannot be turned on trying to turn the pulley by hand) while the other one - the Z- can be turned easily.
The X drive beeps a signal whenever pressing the X traverse keys, but there is no motion.

Can anyone help me out pls?

Thanks.

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Sat 11 Nov , 2006 15:52 pm

Have you checked that it hasn't hit one of the limit switches?

Have a look under the front left hand side sloping bit of the lathe. There should be two push buttons - one is the controller reset, the other is limit override. I think the override is the left hand one. Hold this in while trying to move the axes - make sure you keep it held in.

Cheers

Dave

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Sat 11 Nov , 2006 18:47 pm

If you manage to get the X running you will then be able to interchange the x & z drives over to see if the fault foolws the CD20 drive. The overide switch underneath needs to be held in until you have moved off the limit switch.

the_mechanic

Post by the_mechanic » Sat 11 Nov , 2006 20:16 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your prompt replys.

I checked about the limit switches, but none of the limit switches have been hit.

Even still, pressing the reset button and trying to move in the X or Z directions using the manual X and Z traverse keys still results in no motion.

Any other suggestions please?
Is there a difference between the 3 Red LED's? Sometimes there is one LED on and sometimes two.

Thanks

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Sat 11 Nov , 2006 23:13 pm

Looks like we need to find some manuals on these CD drives.....I take it they are not like the Digiplan SD :?

The axis that has no torque on power up could be a fuse for that axis - have you checked the basics like fuses, broken wires, connectors pulled out, corroded pins etc etc...
The other one showing error LEDS could be indicating a symptom of these possible causes.

Or, like another member recently found, one of the drives is missing ! :roll:

Whats the history of the machine ? Have you had it working previously ? How long ago ?

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Sun 12 Nov , 2006 1:22 am

the_mechanic

Post by the_mechanic » Sun 12 Nov , 2006 22:26 pm

Thanks in deed for this link. I will have a look at this guide, especially the trouble shooting section.
I checked the fuses and they look fine, same for the connectors.

I am suspecting that I have some fault with the relay. Any suggestion how to replace it without dismantling the whole machine?

- It is very difficult to access the electronic modules though. I am afraid that I will have to dismantle the lathe' s chasis from the bottom plate, and lift off the lathe from the bottom section, to be able to access the electronics ( I am afraid that if I pull out the electronic modules I might pull out some wires).

As for the lathe's history, I have just acquired it as is - i.e. with faulty X and Z drives- and unfortunately have no details of its history.

Thanks for the help and any further ideas.

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Mon 13 Nov , 2006 11:53 am

Firstly - Denford Admin, any chance you could copy this file into the downloads section. Secondly as a thought how about splitting the downloads section for each machine - e.g. General, Orac, Triac etc

Mechanic - I will have the mechanical manual at home that will give the way to get to the electronics. Unfortunately my home computer blew up (literally!!!! :( ) last night. I will have a look and see if I can suss out how it works. There may be a pull out tray - the Triac certainly has one. You unscrew the backpanel and fold it down, then undo the front and pull it out. Not sure about the Orac - yet to pull one of them apart!!

Cheers

Dave

Daveslaithe

Post by Daveslaithe » Sun 19 Nov , 2006 14:24 pm

:oops: Hi Mechanic, I hope this attaches OK, you may find this usefull for Orac, I think the stepper controls are Digiplan SD's ..........but I may be wrong? Dave
Attachments
SD2.pdf
(1.02 MiB) Downloaded 714 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Sun 19 Nov , 2006 23:08 pm

I'm going to struggle to manage downloads and trying to keep everything in the right place - eg, where to put a drive manual - did it only get used in Triacs or other machines or put it into a drive section ? - don't know what would be best ?

I'll see what content goes in there over next months, and try to arrange it somehow

davidimurray
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by davidimurray » Tue 21 Nov , 2006 11:04 am

Hi Andy

Perhaps organise them by machine for manuals, software etc and then a section for electronics/drives for the more general stuff. If you need a hand give me a shout and I can help collate a list of what should go where.

Any news from the D&T show? The laser scanning looks very impressive - I want one!! Just tidying up my starturn at the moment, last jobs to finish it - spindle speed control almost finsihed last night and I now have a touch screen attached to a TFT monitor - bling!

Cheers

Dave