All info relating to the Denford NovaTurn CNC lathes

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

audio.fi
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Sort of technical help with a novaturn from my first use

Post by audio.fi » Wed 31 Mar , 2010 2:00 am

Hi,

I have recently had my first go at making an item using actual software, using lathecam designer, and flstep which was successful (the item was very simple) !!

Anyway, as I had tried the mill some time ago and wondered if it could be used manually to make the odd part, I have realised that this could be possible by using the four directional buttons on the tutor keypad if they were more sensitive (don't know if they are worn, but sometimes they don't respond to keypresses). I was thinking if I could get a replacement keyboard (in case I broke it), I could perhaps replace the keys with some kind of joystick with microswitches so control it easier; Has anyone done this and made it work ?

Also, can anyone tell me why the X axis buttons are reversed on the keyboard from the actual machine, as this is confusing when setting the offsets, as I have to keep telling myself to press the other button, if you know what I am getting at !

Lastly, my first attempt at making a small part in aluminium, was successful but for the fact that parting off did not complete as the part seemed to be too far out of the chuck and moved (the billet was 22mm diameter and 54mm long). How do you cope with this ? Do you have to cut all you billets very short, or did I have it set up wrongly ? I would be making items about this length but maybe 35mm diameter, so could it be that the parting off was too far along the billet (15mm from the end datum). I am used to using a tailstock centre or the billet going through the spindle, so I am presuming it is impossible to have one, as it would be in front of the tool turret, or is there a special item that can be bought for this purpose ?

Thanks in advance.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Sort of technical help with a novaturn from my first use

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 07 Apr , 2010 11:34 am

Anyway, as I had tried the mill some time ago and wondered if it could be used manually to make the odd part, I have realised that this could be possible by using the four directional buttons on the tutor keypad if they were more sensitive (don't know if they are worn, but sometimes they don't respond to keypresses). I was thinking if I could get a replacement keyboard (in case I broke it), I could perhaps replace the keys with some kind of joystick with microswitches so control it easier; Has anyone done this and made it work ?
It would be possible to tap into the tutor keypad matrix and wire up to a joystick with better contacts, although part of the sluggishness will probably remain as the tutor keypad is RS232 based, and sends the keypresses at 9600 baud - meaning the software could still be slow at picking up changes in key presses.
Also, can anyone tell me why the X axis buttons are reversed on the keyboard from the actual machine, as this is confusing when setting the offsets, as I have to keep telling myself to press the other button, if you know what I am getting at !
There might be a configuration option for this in the DOS files somewhere...look through the ones you can open with a text editor for some kind of tutor key mapping - I know there was a .key file in VR Milling which determined which keys did what.