All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: Novamill - Mach 3

Coventry easy change tooling for the novamill

Post by Ben L » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 1:39 am

Hi all, my first post to the forum and i'm feeling stuck already, I hope someone can help me out.

This isnt really machine specific, I have just bought a Novamill, with the coventry easy change fitted. Ive just found a great thread in the triac forum on doing away with it in favor of Bt30 toolholding which will come in handy later if I go that route.

Ive 3 x 1/2 inch tool holders a da200 collet chuck and a couple of others of an imperial size

Could someone tell me what tooling is designed to be used in these holders? I know what they look like but there is a specific name for type of end mill with a half inch shank and a slot in the side for the grub screw.
failing that is there anywhere in the UK that stocks DA200 collets to tide me over until I can get my head around the machine

cheers
Ben

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Re: Coventry easy change tooling for the novamill

Post by DavidB » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 19:20 pm

The term for the type of tooling with the flat for a grub screw is a Weldon shank, they come in many different sizes. I've seen they're not considered the best as it results in a slight runout of the cutter. I have a few for my Triac but mainly Clarkson autolock type for the Coventry easy change system which are better and as you seem to be in the UK threaded shank cutters are commonplace. No idea about da200 as I have never used them.

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Wed 24 Aug , 2016 23:03 pm

DavidB wrote:The term for the type of tooling with the flat for a grub screw is a Weldon shank, they come in many different sizes. I've seen they're not considered the best as it results in a slight runout of the cutter. I have a few for my Triac but mainly Clarkson autolock type for the Coventry easy change system which are better and as you seem to be in the UK threaded shank cutters are commonplace. No idea about da200 as I have never used them.

Thanks David, after hours of searching I manged to find out about Weldon shank. so the Clarkson autolock, are they a different tool holder altogether but still compatible with the Coventry? Nearly all my end mills are threaded shank!
So how does the Autolock collet fit onto the easy change?

For anyone else I did find some da200 collets at not such a bad price, limited sizes and stock but some in stock at msc industrial.

DavidB
CNC Expert
CNC Expert
Hardware/Software: Triac, Orac

Post by DavidB » Thu 25 Aug , 2016 19:20 pm

Ben,

Coventry Engineering make or made a posilock chuck for the Easy Change system but I couldn't see it mentioned on their website. See comments here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3911 and the attached picture is a shot of one of mine.
easy_change_posilock.jpg
easy_change_posilock.jpg (66.99 KiB) Viewed 5423 times

Ben L
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice

Post by Ben L » Thu 25 Aug , 2016 22:35 pm

DavidB wrote:Ben,

Coventry Engineering make or made a posilock chuck for the Easy Change system but I couldn't see it mentioned on their website. See comments here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=3911 and the attached picture is a shot of one of mine.
easy_change_posilock.jpg

Thanks David, after reading you post I searched for some time last night but didnt find anything at all, I think maybe they have gone in favor of the ER collet system. Ive now got myself a couple of Da200 collets 6 and 3mm so i'll be giving the machine a test run tomorrow, excited I have to say!

once ive got over the initial sting of the purchase, i'll invest in a few chucks that will suit the tooling i'll be using, perhaps I'll be able to sell off some the imperial holders on ebay to offset the cost you never know. we shall see.
Mangaged to get the machine in place and plumbed in today and its looking great! :D

Thanks for your help David much appreciated