Retrofitting CNC Mill and Lathe

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

Chantelle

Retrofitting CNC Mill and Lathe

Post by Chantelle » Wed 10 Oct , 2012 22:33 pm

As a student final year project my team was given the task to develop a control system using Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and stepper controllers and to configure a suitable software which will execute various manufacturing tasks that will facilitate the integration of a Computer Numerical Control (CNC) mill and a lathe and a robotic arm.

Upon inspection the CNC mill and lathe are older Denford machines (Novamill) obtained back in 2000 with the actual control system missing. There is no visible documentation, the computer is out of operation therefore we cannot even determine the software used.

Any help you guys can provide to us beginning this project will be appreciated.

Best Regards,
C

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Hardware/Software: Go to User Control Panel > Profile
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Re: Retrofitting CNC Mill and Lathe

Post by Denford Admin » Thu 11 Oct , 2012 9:34 am

Hi,
Photos of the machine and electronic cabinets will help!

Pete.
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by Pete. » Thu 11 Oct , 2012 19:16 pm

Chantelle wrote:As a student final year project my team was given the task to develop a control system using Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and stepper controllers and to configure a suitable software which will execute various manufacturing tasks that will facilitate the integration of a Computer Numerical Control (CNC) mill and a lathe and a robotic arm.

Upon inspection the CNC mill and lathe are older Denford machines (Novamill) obtained back in 2000 with the actual control system missing. There is no visible documentation, the computer is out of operation therefore we cannot even determine the software used.

Best Regards,
C
I rather fancy the intention is for you to figure out a new system rather than restore the old one so there's little use having the old stuff. I know nothing of PLC but I'm just learning about CNC retrofitting. I can give you a couple of pointers to sites for control software.

Probably the most popular control system for DIY retrofitting is the Windows-based Mach 3 software by Artsoft. There is a thriving community so support is virtually unlimited. The software is not free but you can download it and configure it to a fully working system with only some limitations on job size until it's paid for.

http://www.machsupport.com/

Another option for control software is LinuxCNC, which is free software, and also has excellent (probably better) support. It's also apparently more capable than Mach but it only runs on Linux.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/

LinuxCNC also contains PLC ladder-logic programming which Mach3 does not AFAIK.

Denford Admin
Site Admin
Enter as much information about your CNC hardware and software as you can - it makes it easier for everyone to know what you're talking about then.

Post by Denford Admin » Fri 12 Oct , 2012 8:46 am

I believe you can create I/O macros/programs in Mach...I'm sure someone has done one for the Novaturn/Orac automatic toolpost on here before.

Chantelle

Post by Chantelle » Fri 12 Oct , 2012 18:02 pm

Pete. wrote:
Chantelle wrote:As a student final year project my team was given the task to develop a control system using Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC) and stepper controllers and to configure a suitable software which will execute various manufacturing tasks that will facilitate the integration of a Computer Numerical Control (CNC) mill and a lathe and a robotic arm.

Best Regards,
C
I rather fancy the intention is for you to figure out a new system rather than restore the old one so there's little use having the old stuff. I know nothing of PLC but I'm just learning about CNC retrofitting. I can give you a couple of pointers to sites for control software.

Probably the most popular control system for DIY retrofitting is the Windows-based Mach 3 software by Artsoft. There is a thriving community so support is virtually unlimited. The software is not free but you can download it and configure it to a fully working system with only some limitations on job size until it's paid for.

http://www.machsupport.com/

Another option for control software is LinuxCNC, which is free software, and also has excellent (probably better) support. It's also apparently more capable than Mach but it only runs on Linux.

http://www.linuxcnc.org/

Chantelle
The intention is to create a new system. I will just be learning about PLCs and CNC retrofitting as well.
Thanks for the hints with the control software but I think we will be using the Mach 3 because of its ability to generate functions from the CAD drawings. Its not definite as yet so I will continue to look at the LinuxCNC because of the ladder logic.

Chantelle

Post by Chantelle » Fri 12 Oct , 2012 18:34 pm

Here are some photos of the machines as requested.
Attachments
Lathe - Nameplate.gif
Lathe - Nameplate
Lathe - Nameplate.gif (283.72 KiB) Viewed 14359 times
Lathe - control box.gif
Lathe - control box
Lathe - control box.gif (338.49 KiB) Viewed 14359 times
Lathe.gif
Lathe
Lathe.gif (292.96 KiB) Viewed 14359 times
CNCmill - nameplate.gif
CNC Mill - Nameplate
CNCmill - nameplate.gif (306.26 KiB) Viewed 14359 times
CNCMill -Control box.gif
CNC Mill - Control box
CNCMill -Control box.gif (328.15 KiB) Viewed 14359 times
CNC mill-.gif
CNC Mill
CNC mill-.gif (263.95 KiB) Viewed 14359 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Mon 15 Oct , 2012 8:55 am

You'll should be able to keep all the electronics on both those machines.
Keep the stepper stage and remove the Baldor top board then connect a BOB (breakout board) for Mach to the 96 way connector.
Others have done it:
viewtopic.php?t=2263
Here is the 96way connector info:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2264

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Tue 16 Oct , 2012 12:37 pm

Hi,
If you do remove the blador top boards for either the mill or lathe and have no further use for them I'd potentially be interested in them as spares for my machines.

Cheers
BPM

angel-tech
CNC Guru
CNC Guru
Hardware/Software: .....
4 Quatros
3 Oracs
2 Easiturn atc
12 station lathe atc
Mach 3

Post by angel-tech » Tue 16 Oct , 2012 14:06 pm

bpmsl wrote:Hi,
If you do remove the blador top boards for either the mill or lathe and have no further use for them I'd potentially be interested in them as spares for my machines.

Cheers
BPM
I have loads of top boards from starmills and novamills, give me a ring on 07791011037 if you want any.

Tom.

bpmsl
CNC Expert
CNC Expert

Post by bpmsl » Tue 23 Oct , 2012 12:21 pm

Thanks Tom, thats good to know, will do.

Cheers
BPM

Chantelle

Post by Chantelle » Wed 14 Nov , 2012 17:08 pm

I downloaded the VR Mill software and and installed it on my computer in order to test the mill. However, the error message below was displayed:

Mint COM: 1
Mint COM: 2
Mint COM: 8

The final message in the photo attached was displayed.

Also, when I checked the control box another error "L" was displayed on the LCD of the motion control board. I am aware that "L" means limit switch open but is that directly related to the mill or the additional devices (Novaturn and robotic arm) which came with the mill.

Can you assist me with these errors and let me know if the VR Mill software version 2.14.3.711 was suitable for this Novamill 2000?
Also suggest any other testing methods that could assist us in determining whether or not the machine components are functional.

Regards,
C
Attachments
Error msg1.gif
This error was recurring
Error msg1.gif (135.06 KiB) Viewed 14261 times

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 14 Nov , 2012 17:14 pm

Make sure that Novamill is selected in the VR Milling software (Setup > Machine parameters > denny) right click the machine name and choose Activate
also check the rs232 cable(s) you're connecting to the machine with, match the cable here:
viewtopic.php?t=544

Martin
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Post by Martin » Wed 14 Nov , 2012 22:40 pm

It looks as though you have a Dos eprom fitted on the Denstep card which will not connect to any VR software.

The photo is not very clear so I may be wrong but the serial plate is saying Dos also.

Chantelle

Post by Chantelle » Fri 16 Nov , 2012 18:33 pm

Thanks for the help so far.
I cannot find the software version 2.102 (on the control box) to download, which other version is best suited besides the VR milling V5?

Regards
C

Denford Admin
Site Admin

Post by Denford Admin » Wed 21 Nov , 2012 17:20 pm

you can find FanucMD here which should work.
http://website.denford.ltd.uk/support/9 ... s-software

Your original .go and .opt file settings for the Novamill are attached:
Attachments
H00531.pdf
(24.97 KiB) Downloaded 1022 times