Cooling Novamill

All info relating to the Denford Novamill CNC Milling machines

Moderators: Martin, Steve, Mr Magoo

JohnHaine
CNC Apprentice
CNC Apprentice
Hardware/Software: My Novamill, bought in Nov 11 without electronics, is now up and running under Mach3 with a home-build control box. I'm very pleased with the machine, only project so far is correcting a cheap small machine vice originally bought for a vertical slide to use on the machine - not a right-angle in it when bought!

Cooling Novamill

Post by JohnHaine » Sun 24 Jun , 2012 22:40 pm

I recently did some engraving on my Novamill, which took a long time running the spindle at max revs. The headstock and the top of the column were pretty hot by the time I finished and it seems to me that the drive motor could do with some cooling as the column space has no venting to the outside. I am wondering about fitting a new top plate with a computer-style fan and filter on it, blowing air into the column, with some vents in the cover of the headstock (also with some dust filters).

Should I be worried about the heat, has anyone done this to their mill?

John.

Steve
CNC Guru
CNC Guru

Re: Cooling Novamill

Post by Steve » Mon 25 Jun , 2012 3:55 am

I would not worry about the heat, I think it is normal for the head and motor to get hot, but if you wanted to add a fan it would not do any harm.

If you do ad a fan I would make it blow out of the cabinet away from the motor and add some vents lower down so the air flows up and over the motor.

If you do this then you will not require any filters.